ok i just went to a old tiny music store to get one of my epi's fixed. while i was there, he was selling some of his personal collection of guitars. one happened to be a 1967 gibson melody-maker(( its an sg with 2 white single coil pups) the pups look like emgs, but white and single coils)) its all original except for the tuning pegs which he himself put on. he is asking 1650 US dollars, and im wondering is it a good deal. its in good condition, everything works, sound is amazing. oh and the serial # is 0000407, and he got his friend to look up in a guitar collecter book and it said about 4000 a year where made between 1960-69. thanks alot, and any help is greatly apricaited.

EDIT: it also has a teal green finish, and the finish is still on the neck, which is really rare he said, and the color too was rare.
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Last edited by bob311 at May 20, 2006,
sounds like it has soapbar pups...yea, that seems like a good deal
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
no there not soapbars, think of a white emg, cut in half and shaped like a single coil, its flat, and they are original like everything except the tuners

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Never seen that before, but if you like it, then go for it.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
well i love it, but i only have 700 dollars, so my dad will have to pay the rest and i will owe him, so i kind of need any helpful info before i can get the money out of him

i really cant, the store is closed tonight, and tomorrow, and if i do buy it, it will be on monday when they re-open for the week. i found one that looks just like it
http://www.garysguitars.net/content/services_details.asp?record=810
it is teal in color, and the color was NOT sanded off of the neck or headstock. but it doesnt have the tremelo system

Are you sure its single coils, could it be mini humbuckers?
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
yes i am, and just so you know the serial # is 0000407

I thought gibson serials was 8-digit post 1977 or 1974, cant remember which, and 6-digit before that. BUut you gave the same number twice, suggestin it wasn't a mix up
well, all i remember was it was all zero's and then 407, so it could have been 000407. but yea, i really need to know if its worth it!

ok so its legit, but what is it really worth?

Quote by call1800ksmyazz
they could be Lace Sensor pickups.

No; unless the pickups are non-original.
I just checked in Gibson's serial number catalog, and the guitar is indeed a 1967. And yes, those are covered single coil pickups that look like EMGs, not soapbars or mini humbuckers.

As for how much it's worth, I have absolutely no idea.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
A guy I know paid £800 for a 1964 Gibson melody maker, although his has a les paul body shape and no trem. Sounds really nice though.
...Bleep Bloop...
it is really nice, and it looks exactly like the pic above, but it doesnt have the vibrato. but its 100% original except for the tuners

are you guys positive on that, because in a way, your info is what i make my decision on

Vintage Guitars rates it as D- for collectability so it's not a collectors item. All I could suggest is search sites/forums selling vintage guitars and see what the average price their going for.
If you want a collectable guitar, buy it, but it's probably not worth the price for the playability/sound etc if you're not a collector, just a big rip off, Melody Makers are far from the greatest guitars in the world.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i love the sound of it, i mean its like orgasmic in my mind, and thats my opinion. but for the money worth is it worth it? because my dad does need to chip in a bit of money that i will owe him.

Quote by GHJ
A guy I know paid £800 for a 1964 Gibson melody maker, although his has a les paul body shape and no trem. Sounds really nice though.

my guitar place has got a '64 melody maker also, its in a lp special body type, w/ only one single coil, and where the other one should be it says "melody maker," (i guess the other pup was ripped out) looks pretty badass, i want it bad!
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
^ thank you so much, that is the guitar. thanks again

Quote by bob311
no there not soapbars, think of a white emg, cut in half and shaped like a single coil, its flat, and they are original like everything except the tuners

OOOOHHHH i gotcha

steve winwood and jeff beck have pups like that...im not sure exactly what kind they are, but now i know what your talk ing about
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
yea, but i need to make my final decision, so i just need a simple, yes or no from all of you! thanks

I think he is asking too much, they are not as much of a collecters items as the other gibson guitars which can run for that or higher, so just because of the price I would not get it. But if you want it a lot, then get it.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Uhh...you decide. It's not our money, and we've never touched the guitar. I say, it costs too much, but there have been things i've bought that were overpriced just cause i wanted it that bad. If you can buy it, and really ****ing want it...then get it. That's all the answer you're going to need or get from us.
yea, well that least i get a honest answer for once on UG. thanks and if you have anymore input just please share your knowledge

See if you can make a deal with them. Tell them you looked it up and it's not really worth that price. Then, make them a lower offer. Most likely they'll take it. If you think about it, you can easily get a brand new Gibson Les Paul Classic for $1650. This is a Melody Maker. The current Gibson Melody Maker foes for $500. They have always been cheaper guitars. If you can get them to go lower and REALLY like the guitar, go for it.

Hell, even if tey won't lower the price at all and your love the guitar, go for it. It's your decision, but if you really love the guitar then get it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
hey thanks again, i mean i love it to death, and i personally wouldnt have thought twice about it, but i dont have all of the money, and im trying to get my dad to pinch in the rest, so i made this thread to show him that he should let me borrow the money until i pay him back

And the blue book price is...
Melody Maker-D: 2 covered single coils, Pelham Blue available in '66. and the prices are $450 for near mint, $395 for excellent+, $325 for exc, 250 very good and so on. Add $250 for Pelham Blue.
2003 Blue Book, prices have gone up it looks like.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
Last edited by acdc101 at May 22, 2006,
Quote by acdc101
And the blue book price is...
Melody Maker-D: 2 covered single coils, Pelham Blue available in '66. and the prices are $450 for near mint, $395 for excellent+, $325 for exc, 250 very good and so on. Add $250 for Pelham Blue.
2003 Blue Book, prices have gone up it looks like.

There ya go. Found this out also from a dealer on the weekend as well. These Melody Makers are worthless on the collector's front, so you're getting ass-raped if you pay over $500 for it.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
ok thanks alot guys, you have saved my butt from a bad deal!