lets say i got a 1700 dollar amp head and a really cheap head (cheap comes hand in hand with crap, right?) would that affect my sound as much as a balanced price between tthe head and cab?
Assuming with the second "head" you ment cab... You'd sound like crap.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
hmm... for 1700 you should get the Mesa Boogie double rectifier half stack or the peavey 5150 head+cab... NONE of which are "crap"

but I'm pretty sure the head is where the tone and everything that matters is and all cabs are the same but louder
Quote by rayIII
hmm... for 1700 you should get the Mesa Boogie double rectifier half stack or the peavey 5150 head+cab... NONE of which are "crap"

but I'm pretty sure the head is where the tone and everything that matters is and all cabs are the same but louder

cabs and speakers have a very large impact on your overall sound. A crappy cab can make a great head sound like crap.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ Its true if you want cheap good cabs look to Avatar

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

4x12 Cabs for about 500 USD with any speakers of your choosing

Unfortunatly if your not in the US or Canada getting one will be hard as they only ship to North America
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
You can get a Dual recto stack for 1700?

The head is around $1900-2100 and a the cab is around $700-900. This is new, finding used however is a different story, but 1700 is streching things a bit.

Splawn cabs sound just as good and even better than Marshall 1960's for about $500.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
You can get a Dual recto stack for 1700?

The head is around $1900-2100 and a the cab is around $700-900. This is new, finding used however is a different story, but 1700 is streching things a bit.

Splawn cabs sound just as good and even better than Marshall 1960's for about $500.

wats with the price gap? 1900-2100?
Quote by Supern00b
godammit. wait, for 1700 i can get a dual rectifier HALFSTACK?!!

lol actually it was used... and it was a single rectifier

EDIT: and some guy was selling it at a garage sale so I don't know if it actually worked....