Poll: What is grunge?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is grunge?
Grunge is a genre, and it still lives.
8 27%
Grunge is a dead genre just like disco and hair metal.
13 43%
Other/unsure
9 30%
Voters: 30.
What do you think? Is grunge a sub-genre of rock, punk, and metal defined by it's sound and image, or is it an era that was popular in the early 90's that cannot be revived? Should bands like Godsmack, Seether, Staind, Puddle of Mudd, Hinder, and Three Days Grace be grouped under the genre of grunge, or are the aforementioned bands simply "post-grunge" wannabes? What makes a band "grunge"? What is the grunge style?
grunge was an era, if even that. really it just refers to 90s punk and metal bands. mostly from seattle.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Just a term for Seattle bands that had debut albums from the early-to-mid Eighties and Nineties.

Not a genre. Never was. Never will be.

Oh, and your poll options sort of force you to say it's a "genre", which it is not.

And, with luck and four leaf clover placed betwixt my ass cheeks, these threads should be no more.
Last edited by grungefan89 at May 20, 2006,
Quote by wingedgopher
grunge was an era, if even that. really it just refers to 90s punk and metal bands. mostly from seattle.

What he said.

Mudhoney were a punk band.
Nirvana were a punk band with slick production.
Alice in Chains were a rock band/
Pearl Jam were a rock band to start with...then went punk(ish) before going AOR
AND Soundgarden were amazing
Not a genre. And those grunge-wannabes should die for abusing my ears.
Quote by Rox0r713
I nominate giveitaname87 for UG's "Most likely to be a Serial Killer" award.
Quote by grungefan89
Just a term for Seattle bands that had debut albums from the early-to-mid Eighties and Nineties.

Not a genre. Never was. Never will be.

Oh, and your poll options sort of force you to say it's a "genre", which it is not.

And, with luck and four leaf clover placed betwixt my ass cheeks, these threads should be no more.

Well that four leaf clover is raping your asshole, my friend. You chose to come to this thread, you chose to respond to it, and then you chose to come back and edit your last comment. If the thread doesn't interest you (which would mean that your username is quite misleading), then I advise you to seek your online amusement elsewhere.
Quote by Powerhouse
Well that four leaf clover is raping your asshole, my friend. You chose to come to this thread, you chose to respond to it, and then you chose to come back and edit your last comment. If the thread doesn't interest you (which would mean that your username is quite misleading), then I advise you to seek your online amusement elsewhere.

Wow, touchy much. But he's right, grunge in fact is dead because the term is refers to an era of music, not a type of band.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

It's not dead, there are still grunge bands on the go.

But there can't be any new grunge bands, so it's certainly going to die.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Things only die if you forget about them. One day, it'll be back. Can't you see the direction pop music is headed to. But don't get me wrong, grunge started dwindling down when ****ing Perry Elliss got a hold of the idea.
Grunge was an image and nothing more.
Pearl Jam and STP were pure rock while
AIC and Soundgarden were pure hard rock/metal.
The whole grunge label was nothing more than a
marketing tool.None of had anything to do with music
Quote by Powerhouse

No, the thread doesn't intrest me much. Why? Because we have a thread in these forums we can use to ask this question and then proceed to get an answer (albiet a rehearsed one). It's a little exhausting to hear this question being asked again and again. (However, I don't expect people to know what the term "grunge" means and so on; that's an unrealistic expectation and a stupid one at that.) That in no means makes my username misleading, by the way.

I would just like people to get a little smarter and put questions like this in the right thread.

That's it from me on my end.
It was definately an era. Bands will try to reproduce this sound (i.e Shinedown and Puddle of Mudd) but it was a time period where hair metal was out and flannels and coffee were in.

I love Grunge music, though.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID