Like does it build good physical strength?

I just bought myself a 10 lb and a 5 lb dumbell.
Seeing if it could help for guitar playing would help encouraging me using them more often
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
I don't think so, seems like it would work a totally different muscle than those in your fingers
Guitar
Jackson DKMGT with semour duncan pickups
Peavey Classic 30 (upgraded speaker)
Digitech Digidelay
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Dunlop wah
Boss DS-1
Bass
Rogue LX400 pro- 4 string bass
Rogue RB60 60 watt bass combo
um i dunno if dumbells will help your fingers any, but your arms yes. a good way to build up finger strength, would be to buy, one of those, um, things u squeeze with ur hand, i dunno what its called...
Quote by Kdub
um i dunno if dumbells will help your fingers any, but your arms yes. a good way to build up finger strength, would be to buy, one of those, um, things u squeeze with ur hand, i dunno what its called...

a stress ball?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Mine havent done anything for my fingers. I would try a stress relief ball maybe, or one of those things that's like 2 lil bars connected at the top that you put in your hand and you squeeze the bars together. You could try finger exercises that you do on the guitar (they helped me a lot). I pretty much used a lot of chromatic stuff and created my own set of them.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Mine havent done anything for my fingers. I would try a stress relief ball maybe, or one of those things that's like 2 lil bars connected at the top that you put in your hand and you squeeze the bars together. You could try finger exercises that you do on the guitar (they helped me a lot). I pretty much used a lot of chromatic stuff and created my own set of them.

lol i got a prince edward island potato stress ball
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
I know that Martial Arts stores often carry a thing called an Eagle Catcher.

It's like a wire frame with 5 hooks on springs. Each hook is for a finger, and you train by pulling them into a fist.

I think that'd do you more good for your finger strength.
Quote by Kdub

I think you're referring to a Gripmaster. They come in 3 different resistance types, and work pretty well. After only using mine for a few days, I noticed a big difference! You can find them on Musician's Friend, or pretty much any music store.
Those things you squeeze are really bad for you. They're like a one-way ticket to carpal tunnel syndrome.
IMO the best way to get the finger strength you need is just practice more.

That way you get technique and strength down in one blow.
If you could possibly build muscle with a 5lb. dumbell then you would have to weigh 80 lbs or would have to curl the thing a couple thousand times. No, working your biceps will not help with your finger strength. You need to get something that you squeeze with your hands that has enough resistance to give your hand a workout.
Even cheaper than the eagle claw thingy is to take newspaper pagea and crumple them into a ball using just one hand.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I like mine. I can definately tell a difference. I would suggest starting out with the blue one. (light tension)
Do pushups on your fingers - it's excellent in that you'll work a lot of different muscle groups (your fingers included) at the same time.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by Rakoro
IMO the best way to get the finger strength you need is just practice more.

That way you get technique and strength down in one blow.

Wow, you are just a genius!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby