Page 1 of 2
I find myself a huge fan of trip hop. i just love the calmness and beats. very nice quiet music. Anyway, my favorite bands are massive attack and theivory corp.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
I've heard portishead being described as that. If that's correct, then yeah, I like that style. It's good thinking music, or just close eyes and let the music paint the images in your head

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I really like Trip Hop, though the only bands I know of are Portishead and I Monster. They're both good though.

Edit: Oh, and Massive Attack.
Last edited by slinks at May 20, 2006,
^ah okay so I wasn't that out of the ballpark then. I haven't heard any massive attack, though I'm going to check them out

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Yes definitly check them out great band or djs.
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
I've only heard a few songs from Portishead and Massive Attack (UNFINISHED SYMPATHY!) and they're great. Great music to chill out to, fall asleep, or think about your girl. Check out the song Rabbit In Your Headlights, its amazing, its got Thom Yorke on vocals.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
^ UNKLE albums are just top notch anyway. That song is great, but not the best from the back catalogue.

Thievery Corporation have always been a bit of a let down for me. Never completely got on with their stuff.
Massive Attack & Portishead are just classic though.
Kid Loco has done some decent stuff, and some of Bjork's is kind of trip-hoppy.

Its a very good genre, there just isn't enough people (well known) doing it.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I'm not overly familiar with the genre (mostly Thievery Corporation and Portishead) but I like what I've heard.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Quote by andrewbiles
^ UNKLE albums are just top notch anyway. That song is great, but not the best from the back catalogue.

Thievery Corporation have always been a bit of a let down for me. Never completely got on with their stuff.

Really ive loved them. Maybe you should consider listening to them more.They are like tool and the mars volta, pretty hard to get into
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
i highly recommend this band paatos.....

they are swedish whose latest influences include opeth. stellar music, to say the least
Quote by andrewbiles

To a certain extent your are right about not enough people doing it. Although whatever artists are in this genre, they really are great.
what exactly is trip hop?
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Tricky
Morcheeba
Dj Shadow
Sneaker Pimps

Try a few of them out.
Enjoy your worries, you may never have them again.

The Books.
Quote by RHCPhysco8
what exactly is trip hop?

Think of dancey, jazzy hip-hop beat merged with chillout music. Its not the easiest to explain, if you heard it you'd understand
Was looking through my CD collection last night for something to listen to and noticed the Hooverphonic ('Blue wonder power milk') and Kinobe ('Versebridgechorus') discs, both excellent (prefer the latter) and ones I'd highly recommend.
Always meant to check out 'Lost Horizons' by Lemon Jelly as well. It was a bit of a hit a few years back but I never got around to getting it, supposed to be amazing though.

Quote by Lukeisonfire
Really ive loved them. Maybe you should consider listening to them more.They are like tool and the mars volta, pretty hard to get into

Maybe no
They just never really did much for me.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
Think of dancey, jazzy hip-hop beat merged with chillout music. Its not the easiest to explain, if you heard it you'd understand

Hooverphonic ('Blue wonder power milk')

Hooverphonic are triphop? *checks in almight wikipedia* ah I see I have their album jackie caine, which is much more alternative/pop, so i was wondering... now i wanna check out their old stuff. they're awesome by the way.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
^ They're a bit more at the dancey end, but I'd say there's a definate trip-hop feel to that album.

RateYourMusic
Yeah, I'd call it chilled out electronica myself, and I'd say Massive Attack are the ones at the top of the field, I think Portishead sort of fell by the wayside a little bit.
im quite new to trip hop, lovin it tho, big fan of Sneaker Pimps and Massive attack, tho i on ly have Mezzanine, i have Becoming X (very good) and BloodSport,

ive only heard a little of Portishead, like what im hearing tho
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Quote by balltounge
Tricky
Morcheeba
Dj Shadow
Sneaker Pimps

Try a few of them out.

the sneaker pimps is probably the greatest band name ever.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Can anyone explain to me why people think Portishead lost it on their second album? I wouldnt know, I only have Dummy yet, but I'm asking cuz many people only say the first is a classic.
can't help you there mate, as I only have DUmmy too, but I'll get back to you on that

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Is Baxter trip-hop? (i.e. "Television," "All Of My Pride") I'm confused, I thought trip-hop had a drum n' bass influence with the beats but Portishead and Massive Attack aren't like that at all.
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam
Trip hop is cool.

Tricky
Portishead
Archive
Karmacode
Spook
Team Sleep
Zero 7

are the main artists of the genre that I listen to.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by kirkisking
Trip hop is cool.

Tricky
Portishead
Archive
Karmacode
Spook
Team Sleep
Zero 7

are the main artists of the genre that I listen to.

anything you'd recommend out of that? my exposure to t-h has been relatively small, but I like what I've heard. Portishead mostly

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Tricky - Nearly God, Maxinquaye, Blowback
Portishead - Dummy, s/t
Archive - Take My Head, You All Look the Same to Me
Karmacode - I've only heard Evidence. Front of My Room was a kickass song
Spook - The Dusk Sessions
Team Sleep - s/t
Zero 7 - When it Falls, Simple Things
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
No-one has mentioned Lamb. Lamb are an amzing trip-hop band, they got me into the whole genre. And Lou Rhodes solo work is also incredible, and she is so enchanting live...wow

Oh, and the production company I am a partner in is looking for a 'trip-rock' band to produce and manage and write for and record etc etc....anyone here interested in that?
Far beyond metal
Quote by damianbreeze
No-one has mentioned Lamb. Lamb are an amzing trip-hop band, they got me into the whole genre. And Lou Rhodes solo work is also incredible, and she is so enchanting live...wow

Oh, and the production company I am a partner in is looking for a 'trip-rock' band to produce and manage and write for and record etc etc....anyone here interested in that?

what albums would you recommend then? I'd love to check them out

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Their self-titled is my favourite by a long shot, but maybe you should try "Best Kept Secrets" - a best of, first.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Can't believe this amazing genre hasn't been talked about for sooo long. Anyways, trip hop is one of the only types of music which actually takes me 'somewhere else' if ya know what I mean, high or otherwise.

Like I can sit there, headphones on and bang on some Portishead and I'll be mellow as **** feeling like I'm sitting in some sort of coffee shop after a spliff and sippin' on a coffee (and not in Amsterdam Not that tacky.....) Beth Gibbons has a beautifully organic voice too
Quote by ghettohippygrrl
Is Baxter trip-hop? (i.e. "Television," "All Of My Pride") I'm confused, I thought trip-hop had a drum n' bass influence with the beats but Portishead and Massive Attack aren't like that at all.

Not really a d&b influence, a hip hop one. D&B drums are just hip hop drums in double time.
Quote by Caustic
Their self-titled is my favourite by a long shot, but maybe you should try "Best Kept Secrets" - a best of, first.

I checked out the self-titled, and love it. Really good album

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by MastaBassist10
Not really a d&b influence, a hip hop one. D&B drums are just hip hop drums in double time.

Surely you mean soul, funk and R&B drums?

So, are any triphop acts, outside, of the big names, worth checking out?
Quote by raise_the_dead
Can anyone explain to me why people think Portishead lost it on their second album? I wouldnt know, I only have Dummy yet, but I'm asking cuz many people only say the first is a classic.

I can't remember if I said this already, but basically there aren't any memorable songs: Dummy had well constructed tracks that were memorable, the electronic stuff complemented the songs, and the parts were much more thought out. There is a lot more blues and jazz influence on the first album, the music and melodies were much better, and the overall feel is a very soothing one. The second album dispences with so many of those things in favour of experimentation, that it's very difficult to listen to

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Really? That sucks.
yeah,.. I can't get into it no matter how many times i've tried.

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Page 1 of 2