hey just wondering im looking into a new guitar and im wondering if a telecaster will bust out some good distortion (not like metallica style , not hard core, more tone than just flat out distortion but i want some cruchiness with sustain) i cant decide between a telecaster or les paul (epi elite or regular epi and replace pups; or cheap ebay gibby studio les paul) please help. thanks
double fat strat
taylor 314ce
fender p bass
alvarez pd20sc
looking for a vintage strat
Praise God in All You Do, Think And Share
Listen to John 5. Then get back to me. If you want, you could always get it and mod it with a Warmoth neck with the Wizard I profile.
^haha you beat me to it

Teles can definitely give you some ballsy distortion. It will sound different to traditional distortion though because of Tele's single coils, as opposed to humbuckers, or even single coils on Strats. Rage Against The Machine and John 5 are examples of what you can do with a tele, but I'm sure there are much more good examples of distorted Telecaster sound

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at May 20, 2006,
Any guitar will shred, even les pauls, it depends mostly on the player not the guitar. It doesn't have the look of a "shred", but id like to see someone other than john 5 use one
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Also though he does have a humbucker on his and probably a custom flatter fretboard and thinner neck. But Yngwie uses single coil pups on his strat. But if you lower the action pretty low then you should be able to do a fair abit although it might be harder if your fretboard has a curve to it.
Dave Tither
could someone just please answer my initial question without saying a million things off subject..
double fat strat
taylor 314ce
fender p bass
alvarez pd20sc
i should have probably mentioned this.....i play like power chord stuff, when i said shred i mean sound good with distortion. i play a little lead but not incredibly fast stuff ....lots of power chords and rythm stuff
double fat strat
taylor 314ce
fender p bass
alvarez pd20sc
You can shred with a telecaster. coughRichieKotzencough
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
Quote by cokekdx
i should have probably mentioned this.....i play like power chord stuff, when i said shred i mean sound good with distortion. i play a little lead but not incredibly fast stuff ....lots of power chords and rythm stuff

That is a completely different thing than shred. Yes, it should do that well.
Obligatory Gear List:
Dean Vendetta 2.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Ibanez PF5-BK Acoustic
Quote by cokekdx

yes you definitely should have mentioned this. BUt the tele will do that just fine

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
how would it stack up against a epiphone les paul stock or with some classic 57s in it?
double fat strat
taylor 314ce
fender p bass
alvarez pd20sc
lol well you were asking a question about Teles, and you got an answer. No doubt you will get a different sound to an Epiphone, but it depends what sound you are going for

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Autumn Shadows
what the hell are pups. like puppies? or mayber youre trying to say PICKUPS

everyone calls them pups.

and yes get humbuckers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I shredded the **** out of a '72 Tele Deluxe at Guitar Center Today. It looked so wierd coming out of that guitar. But it sounded good.
IMHO a well set up Tele is a wonderful guitar and can be a sweet shred machine. I like the neck, flat radius fret board, put a humbucker in the bridge and shred on grasshopper.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
is john 5 still alive?

then yes
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
No need to resurrect a three old thread to say that mate. :/
Honestly how did you find this? Did you just search 'Telecaster' and 'shred' together?
Also, judging by the 15 or so views, I'm guessing that's your video and your YouTube account. :/
Last edited by Baby Joel at Oct 24, 2009,