Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
1,619 IQ
This isn't about routine so much as it is about the amount of time you play per day.

Would it be better to play like 2 hours everyday or 4-5 hours one day and then none the next day to rest your fingers?

I was thinking about this because bodybuilders generally give their muscles a day off after working out so I thought maybe it'd be the same for guitar, but at the same time you get a little stale if you don't play. Likewise, if you play 5 hours straight then you get completely warmed up and can spend more time working on harder things that you wouldn't normally play in a 2 hour "workout."

Any opinions?
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Masknought
UG's Doughnut Mogul
20 IQ
it can work either way. if you have an intense, well-rounded practice and take the next day off, you can come back refreshed and with a new perspective. the only downside is you might not be as sharp from not practicing a day, but i know several people who do this and it seems to work wonders for them. i do it sometimes, every couple of weeks ill take a day off or two during a week and i find it makes me a better player all around.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
Stop Messin'
Gibson Girl
702 IQ
I think it's easier to sit for 20-30 mins at a time, maybe 3-4 times a day than it is to sit for 3-4 hours straight.

Growing up i could never learn alot sitting for hours on end. So i started doing 20-30 minute sittings a few times a day and it was way better.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
EZLN libertad
Pisser of cute avatars
1,944 IQ
2 hours every day
builds muscle memory better

like if you play a riff trying to speed it up one day, rest, and come back 2 days later, yeah its gonna be a little better, but all that you worked on will be out the window

also this definitely does not belong here, maybe in guitar, or pit
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
pageXxXzoso
171 IQ
i agree with stop messin'
i'd say 1-2 hours a day, but broken up,
maybe a little when you wake up,
a lot when your bored
a little before you goto sleep
etc.

that's how i do it
White_Devil
126 IQ
i play for 1-2 hours weekdays, then on weekends i play for maybe two hours have a rest then come back and play later
splice
crank that jessie jackson
175 IQ
im gonna say 2 to 3 hours a day because of this:

3 hours a day
7 days a week
=21 hours
4 hours
5 days a week
=20 hours

plus you get more from practicing daily because everytime you practice you come back the next day gaining a little of what you did yesterday

i suck at explaining things
Andrewbiles
11,150 IQ
Search
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic