Page 1 of 2
Everyone I've asked (on threads and everywhere else) said that a Peavey XXX would suit my type of music better, which is 80's metal and thrash. But I seen previews of that Supergroup show, and Ted Nugent is using a Peavey 6505, so it cant just be an amp that has all modern sounding metal tones. I almost have enough saved to buy a good tube amp, and I just dont want to make the mistake of getting something that I dont want. There are no dealers around me, so I can try them out. I just have to go on what everyone else tells me about the amps. On the Peavey website, I think I like the sound of the Peavey 6505 more then the XXX, but I dont know if I want to go that extra little bit to save up for it. Got any suggestions???
..::RIP::..
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Eh the XXX can Do the 80's style a bit easier. The 6505 is a bit too dark voiced for the 80's.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
Eh the XXX can Do the 80's style a bit easier. The 6505 is a bit too dark voiced for the 80's.

Which is why the 5150 is EVH's own designed amp? 6505=EXACT thing as a 5150.

i see what you mean though Shred... 80's metal is more bright sounding and whatnot. But IMO the 6505 can do anything if you know what youre doing.
^ Never said it couldnt do it. Just that the XXX is more voiced towards the 80's style. The 6505 can do the style tho with proper EQ like you said. i need to repick one up over the summer.
Quote by mexican_shred
^ Never said it couldnt do it. Just that the XXX is more voiced towards the 80's style. The 6505 can do the style tho with proper EQ like you said. i need to repick one up over the summer.

gotcha. i get a little defensive when it comes to the 6505...cuz theres a huge bandwagon rollin around here about them.."the 6505 is only for hardcore metalcore deathcore grindcore!" blah blah.

and theyre totally not...theyre really good for most anything...

But anyways, with the XXX and the 6505 you cant really do anything but try them out first...
Quote by kurdtkobaign
gotcha. i get a little defensive when it comes to the 6505...cuz theres a huge bandwagon rollin around here about them.."the 6505 is only for hardcore metalcore deathcore grindcore!" blah blah.

But anyways, with the XXX and the 6505 you cant really do anything but try them out first...

Dont worry i've been here long enough to understand ya.
Quote by mexican_shred
Dont worry i've been here long enough to understand ya.

k. /end spam lol
Quote by kurdtkobaign

I've been fighting the good fight since a year BEFORE I bought my 5150. Its hard as hell. People are just now starting to get off the EMG ARE ABSOLUTE ****E FOR ANTHING BUT METAL bandwagon.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I've been fighting the good fight since a year BEFORE I bought my 5150. Its hard as hell. People are just now starting to get off the EMG ARE ABSOLUTE ****E FOR ANTHING BUT METAL bandwagon.

we need a club.

to hit kids with.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

Yeah. I'm totally there with you.

EMG's are ****, even for metal.
Well, a 5150 is what EVH played, and since you all said its the same thing as the 6505, I didnt think it sounded to dark, lol. So what do you all think would be my best choice?? I dont wanna get something that I wont want. I can get a XXX in 212 version, 120 watts, but I can only get a 212 60 watt version of the 6505. Will 60 watts be enough to melt peoples faces?
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Quote by X_Deathrow_X
Well, a 5150 is what EVH played, and since you all said its the same thing as the 6505, I didnt think it sounded to dark, lol. So what do you all think would be my best choice?? I dont wanna get something that I wont want. I can get a XXX in 212 version, 120 watts, but I can only get a 212 60 watt version of the 6505. Will 60 watts be enough to melt peoples faces?

yes to everything lol
i've got a 6505 and every time i play it i laugh because it sounds so good.you can have the gain way UP or way down, but i woulnt use it for crystle clean, it doesnt go there.
I had a 5150 combo, and if you lay off the gain and resonance control, you can get decent 80s sounds. You can get pretty much any hard rock / metal tone out of it.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
I had a 5150 combo, and if you lay off the gain and resonance control, you can get decent 80s sounds. You can get pretty much any hard rock / metal tone out of it.

5150 combo have a slightly better tone because the dont have the bias/tube problems the heads do.

for some odd reason...
Quote by Metallica32791
...but!

with a bias mod, the 5150 sounds absolutely nasty.

nasty as in good? or bad?

kids and their slang nowadays...
lol
What's the difference between a Peavey 5150 and a Peavey 5150 block letter?? Is it just the block letters?? lol
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Quote by X_Deathrow_X
What's the difference between a Peavey 5150 and a Peavey 5150 block letter?? Is it just the block letters?? lol

The 5150 with the EVH in bold block letters are some of the first 5150's made.
The one with the signitures, are the ones that were made latter on, so there newer then all the block letter 5150's...
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Strings
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Yes, but they're exactly the same amplifier.

The biggest difference is the stock tubes, and of course you should have replaced those by now in just about ANY case of owning a 5150..
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

The biggest difference is the stock tubes, and of course you should have replaced those by now in just about ANY case of owning a 5150..

when did they stop making 5150s??
idk, not too long ago I dont think. because my 5150 II was bought in 2004 so....
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Strings
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
As far as I know, EVH never sued Peavey, he just left.

Peavey changed the name because EVH wasn't with them anymore, so the 5150 became the 6505, which is their 65th anniversary in 2005, or something like that.

Edit: Heh, Metal, you deleted your post. I see all!
Quote by Mascot
As far as I know, EVH never sued Peavey, he just left.

Peavey changed the name because EVH wasn't with them anymore, so the 5150 became the 6505, which is their 65th anniversary in 2005, or something like that.

Edit: Heh, Metal, you deleted your post. I see all!

yeah they renamed it the 6505 for their 40th year b-day.
^Yup, it's named for Peavey's 40th anniversery, '65 to '05
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
They changed the logo and they put different tubes in them or so I heard.

Now they're 6505s, which is like the third generation of 5150. its got an ugly logo though
Oh well, at least they still sound like sex. Hardcore, BDSM sex.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

what tubes do you replace them with, and wouldnt you loose those screaming harmonics that this amp is set up for.
Quote by jnl
what tubes do you replace them with, and wouldnt you loose those screaming harmonics that this amp is set up for.

The JJ 5150 II full retube kit from Eurotubes is good. And no, it would improve the tone by quite a bit.

However, as much as I love my 5150 for heavy rhythm sounds, I think I'm going to sell it and get a Mark IV. I just can't get a smooth sustainy lead tone out of it; maybe I'll see if it'l sound better with a boost and some delay...
Quote by electrik
The JJ 5150 II full retube kit from Eurotubes is good. And no, it would improve the tone by quite a bit.

However, as much as I love my 5150 for heavy rhythm sounds, I think I'm going to sell it and get a Mark IV. I just can't get a smooth sustainy lead tone out of it; maybe I'll see if it'l sound better with a boost and some delay...

dude i think you should try out the Visual Sound Route 66 American Overdrive. its a sweet ass OD/booster and a sweet ass compressor in one pedal. PERFECT for nice creamy leads on a tube amp.
is there an amp on the market thats as heavy or as loud as the 5150/6505.
ENGL Powerball, or so I have heard.
Quote by electrik

Turning the depth up and presence down usually works well for a smoother tone.. I duno, how do you have it set right now?

Effects always help...

The ENGL > All when it comes to gain. Its not as thick, but it cuts really well.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Turning the depth up and presence down usually works well for a smoother tone.. I duno, how do you have it set right now?

Effects always help...

The ENGL > All when it comes to gain. Its not as thick, but it cuts really well.

Yeah, I've tried it with basically every setting. The problem is that it doesnt have enough saturation, not enough sustain on single notesm and they don't bloom, they just fade.
sh1t i cant quote cuz im at school lol

but to jnl: the 6505/5150 alone is a hard amp to surpass as far as gain and heaviness goes. most amps need some kind of booster. but yeah...some 'super amps' probly pwn it...and they better at about 3000+ USD.
Quote by electrik
Yeah, I've tried it with basically every setting. The problem is that it doesnt have enough saturation, not enough sustain on single notesm and they don't bloom, they just fade.

I duno what to say, really. Maybe the 5150II wasnt for you? Honestly, its kind of perplexing. Not sure of a Mark IV will treat you any better or worse, but its certainly worth a shot.

Has it been retubed or are they originals? etc all of those standard questions.

An overdrive/booster might help you but I really duno why you'd need any kind of boost on a 5150, lol.
Yeah, it hasn't been retubed yet. I'm deciding whether to gamble on that and use up 150 bucks or just use it towards a Mark IV which I know I will get the lead sounds I want. Its too bad though, I really love the 5150 for rhythm. Maybe I should give it a little longer, I'm starting to turn into an HC amp wh0re.

And actually, a lot of people use boosts on 5150s. You don't boost for more gain per se, just a different sound, and maybe more sustain.
So the XXX has better cleans, while the 6505 is heavier? This is a bit of a dillema for me, seeing as I want both cleans and heaviness. Is there a way of getting good cleans from the 6505?
Page 1 of 2