Poll: Do you like les pauls?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you like les pauls?
There the best ever how could you doubt the perfection of such a godly guitar?
96 25%
There fine. I might buy one if i could get a sweet deal on it.
233 61%
I would rather be playing my 100$-300$ starter guitar.
53 14%
Voters: 382.
Page 1 of 8
I CANT STAND THEM!!! they are trumped up to be this awe inspiring guitar ( im talking gibsons by the way ) and i, not a joke at all, would rather be playing my very first guitar, a yamaha pacifica. now, these allegations are not foundless, behold my list of reasons for wanting to play squires and what not more than LP's

1. They wiegh more than me. Things that wiegh more than me are hard for me to carry thru shows that last more than 2.3 seconds long. most shows do. and no, im not a pussy 95 lb kid with a tan like a glass of milk, im 6"1' ,195lbs and i bench 230. im not weak. no amount of "resonating sustain" is worth a guitar that digs deeper into your shoulder than a mexican diggin a tunnel accross the border. yea i said it.

2. Getting your hand up to the higher registers and upper fretts is like trying to get your hand up an exhaust pipe: you cant do it without extreme contortion of the body and most times you just end up hurting yourself without actually hitting the right notes.

3. Plastic tuner knobs are not cool. i cant stand those, i dont care if it adds a 'vintage' look they will break faster than my die cast and you all know it.

4. did i mention that there heavy as crap and the have HORRIBLE frett access?

look im sorry, mabye there are those of you out there who enjoy chunking away at rythm, which they are acutally good for. but when it comes to REAL facemelting, i cant stand them. getting decent vibrato in the upper registers is painfully difficult and dont even get me started about how hard it is to reach anything higher than fret 20...yes, you CAN crank out a decent classic rock/blues/country or whatever solo. now try playing some satriani on it. IT DOESNT FRIKKN WORK!!! voice your opinion, dont just vote
Quote by lumberjack

now try playing some satriani on it. IT DOESNT FRIKKN WORK!!! voice your opinion, dont just vote

Nope. I can do Satriani, Yngwie, Vai, Petrucci, gilbert on a les paul fine.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
uh no
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
The tone is incomparable. And if you can bench 230 and you arent able to hold up a 12-15lb guitar then i really really question whether or not your dad's y chromosome decided to man up enough to give you a pair of testicles.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
i agree with lumberjack. i havnt found ONE les paul that i could get a clean tone out of. and i was playing through a fender tube. a Squier Espirit (which happens to be actually DAM nice for a friggin squier) got me 10 times the clean tone of any LP in the shop i was at (yes they were mostly gibby's). In fact, that squier was HELLA nice... but yeah even a squier strat got better cleans. and the LP tone has no Punch imo, which is a big turn off for me.

EDIT: and benching has nothing to do with carrying a guitar. it rests on your shoulders and digs into them, no matter w.e you have muscles or not, and i agree that heavy guitars are a pain if you've got a long gig.
Quote by lumberjack
i challange u too a duel johnnyboy66

Oh put a lid on it John Wayne....

Stop complaining, and do the obvious:

Dont buy one.
haha. It is also worth noting that this man plays through a digitech processor that sucks tone to the point where there is no difference between Sqiers and Les Pauls.

edit: this is for the guy who said he couldnt get clean tones from a Les
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

yeah the duel was a little over the edge but hey... i just wanted to know if i was the only one.........its a lonely world..............
I can play a LP for a while, even though it gets kinda uncomfortable. I'm like 5' 8". 150 lbs, and can bench 235. Maybe it's cause I'm lower to the ground , but yeah they can be overrated, and overpriced.
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.
Quote by ZoSoII_13
haha. It is also worth noting that this man plays through a digitech processor that sucks tone to the point where there is no difference between Sqiers and Les Pauls.

edit: this is for the guy who said he couldnt get clean tones from a Les

i play bass and i only use the pedal as a tuner dumb****.

though i think too many of you guys just conform and think LP's are godly when theyre not. Theyre (for the most part) overpriced, muddy, hard to play, heavy pieces of crap.
Quote by DanimalCrackers
Sounds like someone is a pussy.

No, it sounds like most of the people in this thread are writing **** that doesn't hold up as real arguments. I own three Les Pauls and I love them for what I do, but I don't think that they are perfect for everyone. They have some great things about them, but they also have their faults.

To the threadstarter: I hear you man, and thanks for giving solid reasons for your opinions but just so you know, not all Les Pauls have plastic tuning pegs.
Quote by mangablade

though i think too many of you guys just conform and think LP's are godly when theyre not. Theyre (for the most part) overpriced, muddy, hard to play, heavy pieces of crap.

I own 3 as well, and they serve every purpose just fine. They are higher priced because this is America, and popularity jacks up prices. Muddy if you are too incompetent to use EQ, hard to play if you suck at guitar to begin with, and heavy if youre a pussy.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Quote by terrencemaddox
No, it sounds like most of the people in this thread are writing **** that doesn't hold up as real arguments. I own three Les Pauls and I love them for what I do, but I don't think that they are perfect for everyone. They have some great things about them, but they also have their faults.

To the threadstarter: I hear you man, and thanks for giving solid reasons for your opinions but just so you know, not all Les Pauls have plastic tuning pegs.

Ah, I just meant about it being heavy and all. I don't know. Don't take me seriously; Unless I'm scrogging your sister.
Quote by lumberjack
yeah but some do ( plastic tuners ) but yeah thanks for backing me up on that

Oh no problem and yeah you are correct. One of mine has plastic pegs, but because there are only a hundred of them made (its a Bob Marley replica), I guess I can't complain, despite not liking the pegs.

Just to clarify though, I think your main point is solid even though I love Les Pauls

EDIT: To DanimalCrackers, I was just trying to make a point haha...I have seen many of your posts and they are always really intelligent so I guess I should have known that. I was just trying to get my point out there, with no offense intended.
Last edited by terrencemaddox at May 21, 2006,
Quote by ZoSoII_13
I own 3 as well, and they serve every purpose just fine. They are higher priced because this is America, and popularity jacks up prices. Muddy if you are too incompetent to use EQ, hard to play if you suck at guitar to begin with, and heavy if youre a pussy.

you only say that because you own 3

i'm man enough to admit my axe has its flaws too.

You think because its american it should be high priced? What about rondomusic.net? they have american guitars, REALLY cheap, and good quality. Muddy because its a mahogany neck and body, not about EQ's, hard in the fret access sense, and i already told you about heavy: you go out and play your LP hangin low for 10 years and come crawling back to me, LITERALLY, when you're aching with back problems.

why do you think some guitarists pick up an acoustic and sit on a stool? they wanted something less muddy then a LP and their back was in too much pain to use a strap.
alright folks im glad to see ive got a controversial thread going here and yes i do hate les pauls but good night, its one in the morning where i live and i open up at work tommorow later
les pauls are sexy but all but half the ones i played felt funny to play so im divided ill buy the guitar if i like it im very picky so no mater what the brand is if i dont like the guitar i wont buy it even though im a bit of a fender fan boy.... fender guitar, cable, picks, amp, and woot ernie ball strings
Quote by fil69
Hu r emos???

Quote by .Sidewinder.
could someone translate that last post for me please?
Quote by mangablade
you only say that because you own 3

i'm man enough to admit my axe has its flaws too.

You think because its american it should be high priced? What about rondomusic.net? they have american guitars, REALLY cheap, and good quality. Muddy because its a mahogany neck and body, not about EQ's, hard in the fret access sense, and i already told you about heavy: you go out and play your LP hangin low for 10 years and come crawling back to me, LITERALLY, when you're aching with back problems.

why do you think some guitarists pick up an acoustic and sit on a stool? they wanted something less muddy then a LP and their back was in too much pain to use a strap.

rondo guitars are Korean and chinese if i remember corectly.

The les paul can be a double edge sword at times. Soemtimes i cant get a decent clean but like the other guy said if you can EQ your amp properly, the muddiness does nto exist,. And also if you still have the stock pickups (gibson for eg) then yes it will sound muddy. The Gibson pickups are terribly bassy and muddy and put that in a mahagony body guitar and you got your self mud. But if you put a realatively bright end pickups , or middy pickups then it works fine. I have a bit of a pinched nerve from having my les paul for 9 years but because of the paul i've also built up sholder and neck str.
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Maybe you just suck at the guitar?

I concur
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by mangablade

Haha yes that was the Jimmy Page thing to do. He was also pretty frail too. Man, I see where you are coming from, but for my needs, I absolutely love it. I suppose I should also point out that I prefer my tele or strat for certain things too, so clearly it isnt the be all end all of guitars, but it sure is a great one.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Quote by mexican_shred
rondo guitars are Korean and chinese if i remember corectly.

The les paul can be a double edge sword at times. Soemtimes i cant get a decent clean but like the other guy said if you can EQ your amp properly, the muddiness does nto exist,. And also if you still have the stock pickups (gibson for eg) then yes it will sound muddy. The Gibson pickups are terribly bassy and muddy and put that in a mahagony body guitar and you got your self mud. But if you put a realatively bright end pickups , or middy pickups then it works fine. I have a bit of a pinched nerve from having my les paul for 9 years but because of the paul i've also built up sholder and neck str.

My bad about rondo, i must have been thinkin of some other company.. (might have been Carvin )

Well about the pups, you could say the same for a lot of guitars, that with a pup change they can sound a ton better. who's to say i cant get a 300 dollar guitar, add new pups in (reasonably/comparably priced ones) and get it to sound nicer and play nicer than an LP?

EDIT: "Haha yes that was the Jimmy Page thing to do. He was also pretty frail too. Man, I see where you are coming from, but for my needs, I absolutely love it. I suppose I should also point out that I prefer my tele or strat for certain things too, so clearly it isnt the be all end all of guitars, but it sure is a great one."

hey bud, sry if it seems like im lashing out at you, i just want everyone who reads this to read it with an open mind. someone shouldnt assume Gibby's are great cuz theyre 5000 bucks, but they also shouldnt assume theyre crap becuz some have plastic knobs, know what i mean?
^ its the quality of the parts tho. Many people have tried putting in new pups in their alder body squire but it doesnt not compare to the real thing.
Man, I understand you. I am a Les Paul owner, and a very proud one at that, and I agree it isn't perfect. I dont know why, but I love the extra weight of it. I like that feeling of having something to let the music out of.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

^ the etrxa weight IMO gives it an extra Umph and heaviness in sound
Quote by mexican_shred
^ the etrxa weight IMO gives it an extra Umph and heaviness in sound

I like my guitars to be heavy, if they're not they feel cheap, know what I mean?
^erm..not really. It just depends on style of music i guess. But i love my ibanez Rg 1570. Its lite weight and superb quality. Its not as heavy sounding as my les paul but it still rips like none of my other guitars. The les paul if i were to mod it would be a great metal guitar.
You know what I find funny, kiddo?

I was playing a Les Paul today (Zakk Wylde Epiphone Bullseye) and I reached the 22nd fret with my index finger with ease. Not just my middle finger or my ring or my pinky, my INDEX finger reached the goddamn 22nd fret.

Deal with it.
haha
I do and dont at the same time.
I like some les pauls. I agree the fret access isnt really comfortable with big hands and a traditional playing style. I keep my right thumb the way a classical player, and most electric virtuosos do, On the back on the neck. So once I get to the neck joint at the body, I have to change that, Making it sort of hard.
I can easily replace the pickups, so I wont complain about those, But I'd replace them with An EMG zakk wylde set.
The heaviness is a problem for me. Ive got screwed up shoulder joints, and Im tall and skinney. 6'1 and 138. Ive dislocated my shoulders several times. So I dont usually use heavy guitars. If I was playing a gig with an LP, I'd use it on a few songs, then switch it out.
They ARE overpriced. For 700-800 bucks, you can get a Schector guitar that plays just as well, Probobaly has pickups you like. Has MUCH better access to the high frets for a traditional thumb position, may or may not look nicer, And has all metal tuners and stuff.
I think their good guitars, but not as good as they're made out to be.

I play lefty.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Last edited by Zach_F at May 21, 2006,
Quote by Zach_F
I do and dont at the same time.
I like some les pauls. I agree the fret access isnt really comfortable with big hands and a traditional playing style. I keep my right thumb the way a classical player, and most electric virtuosos do, On the back on the neck. So once I get to the neck joint at the body, I have to change that, Making it sort of hard.
I can easily replace the pickups, so I wont complain about those, But I'd replace them with An EMG zakk wylde set.
The heaviness is a problem for me. Ive got screwed up shoulder joints, and Im tall and skinney. 6'1 and 138. Ive dislocated my shoulders several times. So I dont usually use heavy guitars. If I was playing a gig with an LP, I'd use it on a few songs, then switch it out.
They ARE overpriced. For 700-800 bucks, you can get a Schector guitar that plays just as well, Probobaly has pickups you like. Has MUCH better access to the high frets for a traditional thumb position, may or may not look nicer, And has all metal tuners and stuff.
I think their good guitars, but not as good as they're made out to be.

Your right thumb?

Either , you play lefty....or are REALLY messed up.
dude.... the lp is an amazing guitar, i wouldnt say the best, BUT it is a very good guitar. have you even played one? i have and it was a 1969 gibson les paul and it was one hell of a guitar
dont diss the les paul
I just hate Les Pauls. No particular reason, just think they're overrated and kinda sucky.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society