So I've got one guitar - an Ibanez S470, love it, but it's a bitch to change tunings cuz of the trem.

Just wondering - are there effects units out there that automatically change the tunings with the flick of a button? I think the Variax does that with its guitars, but not having a Variax I'm wondering if other units out there (pod xt, boss gt-8, digitech gnx4, etc., ) do the same thing but with non-proprietary guitars...

Thanks in advance for your feedback and patience with this newbie question.
The digitech Whammy pedal can help ya change the tunings. you set it down to a half step below and vwa-la. The lazy mans downtuning/ FR downtuning,

Also take a look at a Tremel-no. supposed to be able to downtune.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
You can get a pitch shifter, which will make it easy to do stuff like a half step down and such, but I don't think there's anything that will simulate a drop D tuning, for instance. To my knowledge there's nothing that will differentiate between which string you're playing.
it's rainy...but that's the big Island for ya. Dam...kinda hoping I could jam with someone, but nice to see another guy from 808 state.

sorry couldn't help. The guys above pretty much got it. Dam trem bars...
Quote by mexican_shred
The digitech Whammy pedal can help ya change the tunings. you set it down to a half step below and vwa-la. The lazy mans downtuning/ FR downtuning,

Also take a look at a Tremel-no. supposed to be able to downtune.
Thanks, man...

Have you played the Whammy?
Quote by vanceboy
it's rainy...but that's the big Island for ya. Dam...kinda hoping I could jam with someone, but nice to see another guy from 808 state.

sorry couldn't help. The guys above pretty much got it. Dam trem bars...
It's looking like it's gonna rain here now...

As for jamming, well, you're probably way out of my league! My family's from Hilo, so I know it's a small place. Still, there ought to be some rockers out there somewhere!
for a bit. it was ok. 199 was a bit steep but cool pedal

But for alternate tunings i'd go the path of tremel-no. You can get it off allparts.com. about 60 bucks.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks