Hey all i really need help....i have been playin guitar for a while now and im starting to teach i have a student coming in tomorrow for an hour lesson (this will be my first time teachin) and i need to know were i should start (clearly the very basics like how to hold the guitar and stuff) but what else after that?

btw: if it helps the student is 16 and has never played before

ty in advance
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
If you have no idea where to start... Why are you starting :p
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
start off by talking to him about whether he wants to learn theory, lead, rhythm, etc.

then do the very basics in each. in theory that would be figuring out what the 1st 2nd 3rd so on of every chord is. teach him the CAGED chords, and a simple song that is just note by note (try leaving on a jet plane...first song i learned).
Quote by ar73m
If you have no idea where to start... Why are you starting :p

u gotta start somewere...... i was just looking for advice before i started so i didnt waste the first hour....
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
I'd ask him what song he really wants to learn, then set about teaching them everything they'll need to know in order to play it, provided it's not impossible.

Probably would get him amped to play more and more.
u gotta start somewere...... i was just looking for advice before i started so i didnt waste the first hour....

Look up some guitar methods out there written by experienced instructors, you'll find a plenty of ideas you could use.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
the best way to teach are by using methods in books, i do the same and it works fine for me. after a while they'll get bored by them of course but by then they should be able to play a bit decent. then start with songs that they like and that will help them with improving at different playing tecniqeius(what the **** how is that word in english again:S:P)
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Start with simply how to put fingers on frets, what frets are, and how to make 3 chords. Teach them "one finger per fret", and posture and comfort are something you'll have to watch and correct ALL the time.
do NOT ask them what song they would like to learn as someone suggested, as in all liklihood it will be impossible at thier stage. instead, if they are coming back for another lesson, at the end ask them who they like listening to. then YOU pick a song from one of those artists or something similar that they could possibly start on.

as you thought, start with the basics such as how to hold it and stuff. also teach a little about the parts of the guitar and how it works. so stuff like, this is the bridge, these are the frets, this is the nut, etc. might seem a bit boring, but it should only take a few minutes and it will get the beginner aquainted with their instrument a bit more. something my teacher taught me in my first or second lesson was a little blues shuffle thing. it sounds cool and is pretty simple to play. and it is something they can practice between lessons. this is it:
e|-----------------|
B|-----------------|
G|-----------------|
D|-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4-|
A|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|
E|-----------------|

also, that chromatic warm up that everyone always uses is a good thing to teach so they can practice. the one thats like first finger first fret, second finger second fret, etc. then move up a string and repeat. go all the way from low E to high e, shift up a fret, then go from high e to low E. its probably a good idea not to start at the first fret though, because if you start somewhere a bit higher the streach is a bit less. those are two exercises that they can work on and you can see how they improve.
Start by asking him what kind of music he's into. Ask him what he wants to do with guitar. Respect his musical tastes, even if you hate what he listens too. Start off with some chords and the fingering for them. I know when you start guitar you want to play fast and all and you don't think chords are necessary, so tell him right now they might not seem important but you will realize they are important in a few months. Show him how to read tabs, and give him a few tab site (UG, MX, etc.). Don't force reading music on him, this will come in time, after awile he will hopefully want to start reading and he will probally ask you. I would advise you too stay away from "Method books". Show him how to do power chords, and show him how many band use these and you can mover them around and make a song. Always at the begginning of the lessons, ask him if he wants to learn or work on anything particular this week. After a couple of months, when he understands scales and modes alittle more, set aside the last 5-10 minutes of class and jam. Show him the chromatic scale or the "spider", and tell him to do it as a warmup and so he can get a feel for guitar and get speed. Advise him to use a metronome, and show him how to use it. Relax, and don't take it serious. Don't get mad him he doesn't practice the week before, or if he can't do something or learn something. Good Luck.
Last edited by iAmCam at May 21, 2006,
Basic open chords.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
Explain how a guitar works and the names of all the major guitar parts (bridge, neck, frets, etc...). Show him how to hold the guitar and how to position his hands and fingers. Show him how to hold the pick. Show him a few basic open chords to practice for the week. Watch him play them and help him make adjustments to get the chords sounding right. Ask him what kind of music he wants to play.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
one thing i find a lot of people forget:

be his friend.

i know if i went for guitar lessons, i wouldnt want some 40 yr old fogie i couldnt relate to and or talk about music with (becuz theyd have diff tastes).
If you guys both like some metal band, find that connection, the more friendly you are with him, the more chances he'll keep coming back to you for lessons. i know plenty of people that started off learning guitar from some teacher who was maybe 2 years older, but then after like a year of lessons they like stopped getting taught and they basically either hung out with their teachers for an hour, or jammed etc. but the teacher still got paid
When I get a new student, I usually use the first lesson just to get to know the guy, find out his tastes and stuff, talk about the guitar, the frets and stuff, and do a chromatic excersize or two. Sometimes in the second or third lesson I'll teach an easy song like Back in Black, with open power chords.

I had a hard time when I started teaching guitar too. I had never taken a lesson, and had only been playing for 2 years. I've been teaching for almost a year now, and it's like second nature now, so don't worry about it.
I teach the same riff as was mentioned below..its very useful. I also teach a few chords and compose a 3 chord progression on the treble strings only (full size chords are tough for the first few lessons especially for beginners)..

eg:-

A 00000000 Eminor 00000000 E 00000000
22222222 00000000 00000000
22222222 00000000 11111111

Quote by jof1029
do NOT ask them what song they would like to learn as someone suggested, as in all liklihood it will be impossible at thier stage. instead, if they are coming back for another lesson, at the end ask them who they like listening to. then YOU pick a song from one of those artists or something similar that they could possibly start on.

as you thought, start with the basics such as how to hold it and stuff. also teach a little about the parts of the guitar and how it works. so stuff like, this is the bridge, these are the frets, this is the nut, etc. might seem a bit boring, but it should only take a few minutes and it will get the beginner aquainted with their instrument a bit more. something my teacher taught me in my first or second lesson was a little blues shuffle thing. it sounds cool and is pretty simple to play. and it is something they can practice between lessons. this is it:
e|-----------------|
B|-----------------|
G|-----------------|
D|-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4-|
A|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|
E|-----------------|

also, that chromatic warm up that everyone always uses is a good thing to teach so they can practice. the one thats like first finger first fret, second finger second fret, etc. then move up a string and repeat. go all the way from low E to high e, shift up a fret, then go from high e to low E. its probably a good idea not to start at the first fret though, because if you start somewhere a bit higher the streach is a bit less. those are two exercises that they can work on and you can see how they improve.
I teach the same riff as was mentioned below..its very useful. I also teach a few chords and compose a 3 chord progression on the treble strings only (full size chords are tough for the first few lessons especially for beginners)..

Quote by jof1029

e|-----------------|
B|-----------------|
G|-----------------|
D|-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4-|
A|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|
E|-----------------|

Dam its not working..anyway just teach chords on the treble strings..this is a classical method and is successful.

Quote by jof1029

e|-----------------|
B|-----------------|
G|-----------------|
D|-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4-|
A|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|
E|-----------------|

Quote by Mahavishnu80
Dam its not working..

I know what you mean.

A
e|0            
B|2   
G|2

Eminor
e|0
B|0
G|0

E