Page 1 of 3
woo.

yeah. after a few weeks of waiting i got to go around to a friend of my dads house and check out his rig. he's been playing since the 70's but rarely plays anymore so i thought i'd make good use of his gear for an hour or so.

upon first inspection i noticed he had been keeping his amp in his trailer. an old horse float. but its water tight and easy to move so who cares.
what amp you ask? a 1979 Marshall JCM800. and a damn nice one at that.
he set it all up and plugged his BOSS multi fx in. let it warm and and started playing. he strummed some chords and had a bit of fun with the Fx. enough if that.
the guitar i used was his Rinman strat copy with a Duncan Rails pickup in the bridge.
i played around for a while with the effects and such but realised it was drowning the amps natural tone. so out of the link it goes.

1. My Review of a JCM800
for reference i was mostly playing with the master at 2-3 and the pre at about 8-9. i played around with the eq accordingly.

my first impression was 'hmm'. i liked the sound, a nice crunch, very classic rock sounding. but i just couldn't get a balanced sound. i assume this is because of the pickup in the guitar, but for the first 5 mins or so i couldn't get the sound i wanted. so i played some songs to make my parents happy then they went inside for a drink. i messed around with the eq and ending up with the treble at 7 the mids at 5 and the bass at 6. gave me a nice metal tone. i ripped into some megadeth and metallica and was surprised by how well the amp handled it. i dropped the e to d and started playing some trivium tunes. not quite enough gain. for the rhythm stuff it held up pretty well, but it lacked the gain for the lead stuff. but overall was a very nice amp. would trade my cube for it with out thinking twice. i get my dsl on wednesday or thursday. cant wait.

just as i'm leaving he says have a look at my 12 string before you leave.
opens up the case and heres at old rickenbacker 12 string. one of the 600's. looked like a 650. he said that i could have played it but it needed a tune and he didn't have the time to tune it. damn **** **** bitch.

oh well. hes a nice guy and i'm sure he'll let me borrow it at some point. considering he plays guitar once a year if he's lucky.

thats my review. spam away.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
DSL 401 combo. getting it this week. bye bye cube.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Cool, I've not got a chance to play a JCM800 yet, I really want to though.
You should ask to borrow his stuff sometime, maybe cheeky, but who cares if you're gonna' have all that for a while???
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah. he's a sound engineer guy on weekends. he organises the sound equipment for parties are stuff. i may ask if i can borrow some of it some time, like the 12 string.
he's a nice guy so i dont think he'd mind. i'd like to take his amp down to my sound proof room and crank it though.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
You could "borrow" them while he's not looking... he won't notice.
Don't be afraid to care"

wont notice a missing head and 4x12? nah. go play a jcm800. you know you want to.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Just put a few boxes in place of the amp, and write "Marshall" on it a few times, he'll never notice.
I'll try one next time I see one in a shop!
Don't be afraid to care"

betcha a new one wont be as nice as a 79 one
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
....Shut up.

Who said it'd be a new one? I'm just gonna try whatever JCM800 I see in a shop, should be interesting!
I really wanna' get a Bluesbreaker cranked at the moment too, only had a chance to play one clean, amazing though!
Don't be afraid to care"

yeah. i loved it. you being a classic rock player will love it even more.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Only I can get away with spam threads!

And yeah I would of loved to of played that 600
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
800 and just watch me get away with it!!!
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
yeah i spose. i think it was a 650. it was about as old as the amp.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
black. white pickguard, rose wood fret board with the shark tooth sort of inlays.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
so you've decided to go for the dsl, then?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yup. all thanks to dave mc......well maybe.......ummm i spose you helped
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^

do you have an OD pedal at the moment? you might want one for trivium and the like if you can't crank it all the time...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
got close to a trivium tone outta the jcm 800, so i should be fine with the 2000. if i need one i'll get one, but not for a month or 2.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
yeh if you want more grunt i advise you to take a look at damage control pedals. tube powered pedals
i want to boost it, not kill it. i want a od not distotion. silly boy.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
oh and doug. i'l try it with the amp and see if it works well with the amp.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
got close to a trivium tone outta the jcm 800, so i should be fine with the 2000. if i need one i'll get one, but not for a month or 2.

yep, that's the way to do it- get the amp first, and then if it doesn't do what you want, consider some pedals.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah. i'm gunna be strapped for cash after getting the amp, so i'd have to wait a while anyway.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
azn: no way. i wont have the money. those pedals are REALLY GODDAMN EXPENSIVE
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
damn post button! argh. its an od and distortion. its od is pretty good. yes u will try. bet u wish u hadnt flogged ur ds 1 to matt. that would probably sound alright too. with the right settings of course.
cmon there only 650 aud. or you could get keeley modded pedals or how bout a mesa boogie V1 rocket pedal
a ds-1 as a booster would sound like ****. distortion + tube amp overdirve= ****.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
a ds-1 as a booster would sound like ****. distortion + tube amp overdirve= ****.

you know, it actually sounds alright.

kinda like vai/satch.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah but betcha its doesn't sound like trivium. i mainly want a solo boost.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ yeah.

just pointing out the fact that a lot of rumours and absolutes go on around here ("you have to use OD pedals for boosting") that aren't always 100% true.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
fair enough. no distortion for joel. as tube amp overdirve is sacred. still, my pedal will do the trick. i also dont want it nemore. i may just be biased.
yeah. i had a ds-1. i sold it for a reason. i may buy your od doug but more than likely it'll sound like ****.
EDIT: doug dont double post or dave mc will ban you to the depths of hell.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Page 1 of 3