I know it's a bad idea and everything because the speakers aren't built to take it etc...but if i were to disconnect the twelve inch speaker from my ENGL Screamer and connect a 1x15 bass cab instead...I was thinking of taking up bass but i don't want to suffer a ****ty amp (had an MG for too long)...so basically what i'm asking is, would it work??
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
I played a bass through a guitar amp and the amp began to sound wierd. I don't think the speaker is made for the low frequencies (sp?) from a bass.
no it isn't, and i know that...read my post again

ima connect a bass cab to my guitar amp - unless it would just sound bad and is a waste of money

deg0ey
It could end up completely wrecking the amp, although the bass player in my band used a guitar amp for a while, and then he used the other guitarists amp, and then he used our speakers, but they all work alright now.

Would you be using it permantly?
Thin Lizzy
You can run guitar through bass amps but not the other way round. Sounds **** and breaks the amp.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Yeah, it would be a permenant thing...

But the reason it breaks the amp (I always thought) was that the speakers weren't built to take the low frequencies of a bass guitar...But i would be using a speaker that WOULD be made to take those frequencies, so i really can't see that it would be a problem...

As long as i matched the impedence of the cab and everything it seems like it should work fine - i just don't want to blow a transformer or anything, 'cause that'd be ****

deg0ey
It will work absolutedly fine, as long as the speaker can take it.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
well if youre willing to take the risk, i duno i dont think it sounds like that great of an idea, but i mean whatever floats your boat...or sinks it.
My thoughts exactly, but i was just wanted clarification from someone who knows what they're talking about lol...Would it sound any better than a cheap bass amp? 'cause it'd prolly be more expensive to get a decent cab

deg0ey
bass is much cheaper than guitar.

i was in guitarcenter with my dad yesterday, trying to act like he knows what hes talking about and he said john theres a 400 watt "speaker" for 200 dollars,

i said first off i dont care for behringers and second thats a bass amp.

but they are alot cheaper than guitars for the most part.
Quote by JobForACowboy
bass is much cheaper than guitar.

I'm sorry, but you are completely wrong. Just because guitar center and musiciansfriend doesn't carry as much high end bass stuff as guitar doesn't mean it doesn't exist. A Fender AmStrat guitar costs ~950USD while a Fender AmBass costs ~1300USD. that is only one example.

And you can easily get cheap Behringer guitar stuff as well.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
^ exactly what i was thinking...basically, ima have about £300 to get a bass and an amp, and was wondering would i be better off just getting a cheapish cab rather than some kind of cheap bass amp...

deg0ey
well from what i have experienced bass tends to be cheaper than guitar, my friend got all of his bass equipment cheaper than anything i can find for guitar, and his is all real nice.

MY BAD