Hi there I have finally found a good recording rig for my guitar - it's a Line 6 Toneport UX1 in conjunction with the GearBox software and Ableton Live Lite 6. It works really well but I now need to get into adding drums to my tracks so I am looking to get into drum loopping and all that to add to songs recorded with my rig.

So what is the best way to put drums on these tracks, how to get into it, and it has to be compatible with this software or maybe not, whatevers best. Im new to drum tracking and looping and all that so all your advice is much appreciated. Thanks
Piece of Advice. Unless your timing is virtually perfect, don't add drums to your tracks. Add tracks to your drums. It's pretty obvious really.

My friend recorded a guitar line, and his timing is useless, and he tried to record drums off a keyboard onto it. Rather amusing, to say the least.
^ you obviously dont record with a metronome. all you have to do is record your guitar parts to a metronome and you should be fine with adding drums.

the first thing you need to do when starting drums in FL is to get some good drum sounds. go to file, then templates, and select Real Drums. they arent perfect, but are some of the better sounding drums in the program IMO. here is what i use those for:
kick - kick
hi hat3 - open hi hat
hi hat4 - closed hi hat
hi hat7 - ride
snare - snare
crash - crash
and then the three toms are high, mid and low toms, dont remember which is which.
these are just my prefrences for the template, but you can find the rest of the Real Drum samples by using the browser on the left. go to packs, then RealDrumkits. lots of good stuff to choose from.

once you have your drum samples set to what you are going to use, its time to start playing with the pattern editer. the thing just to the right of the browser is the pattern editer. the channel name is on the left, and these should be all the drum samples you have chosen. there should be 16 little buttons per row: four grey, four red, four grey, then four red. each color is a beat, so you have four beats, and each button is a note, so you have four sixteenth notes per beat. now when you click on a note, it should turn white. start out with a real basic beat, straight eighth notes on your closed hi hat, kick on down beats one and three, and snare on down beats two and four. now up top near the middle is a play button, you can use that to play, or you can hit space bar. before you play, make sure the light next to the word pat is lit up, it is just to the left of the play button. then play, and it should play your pattern.

now you arent always going to want to play at this speed, so you can set the tempo. the tempo indicator is to the right of the play button, set initially at 140 bpm. you just click on the numbers and drag down to lower the tempo, and drag up to raise the tempo.

once you get all this figured out and play with it some, come back and ill show you how to make multiple patterns and put them into the play list to make a song. if you need help, let me know and ill try to do what i can.
^ some of us cant afford all the gear it takes to record things to their full potential. also, since there are people who arent in bands, they need ways other than a drummer to add drums to their songs. i mean, its not like i release anything i do in FL, its more like for ideas so that when i get together with a bunch of people i know how i want everything to sound. its by no means complete or even going to sound perfect, but its a good way to get ideas down and make your demo songs and practice stuff sound a lot better.
^ you obviously dont record with a metronome. all you have to do is record your guitar parts to a metronome and you should be fine with adding drums.

Nope. I play over the drums. I guess that'd work pretty good if had a decent loop program tho...
despite having a low ability to make drum patterns ive made a couple Im happy with in FL Studio 5, so now I need help in importing them into Ableton Live, any idea of the best way to do this?
^ do you have the drums set up as just patterns? or do you have them set up in the playlist to make your song? the easiest way would be to just set up all the beats how you want them in the song and export as an mp3. if you only have the beats, but dont know how the song will go, set up one bar of the first pattern in the playlist. then export as an mp3. take that out of the playlist and add in pattern 2, export as mp3. repeat for all patterns. there might be a better way, but thats how i would do it. note: you can also export in other formats if you prefer.

then just import the patterns into ableton and do what you want there.
Quote by jof1029
^ do you have the drums set up as just patterns? or do you have them set up in the playlist to make your song? the easiest way would be to just set up all the beats how you want them in the song and export as an mp3. if you only have the beats, but dont know how the song will go, set up one bar of the first pattern in the playlist. then export as an mp3. take that out of the playlist and add in pattern 2, export as mp3. repeat for all patterns. there might be a better way, but thats how i would do it. note: you can also export in other formats if you prefer.

then just import the patterns into ableton and do what you want there.

yeah but howdo you import the patterns into ableton?