Hey guys,

I'm looking at some noise reduction systems/pedals. I have seen some that are refered to as being, "rack mount units." What does this mean? Can I use it without anything else - for example - If I just used it sitting on my amp or close to the amp. If I needed something else to use it; what would I need? Sorry guys - I have got no idea about this!! If these are better than a pedal, then I might get one instead....

Thanks guys - I'm such a nOOb.........

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Rackmount means you can mount the piece of equipment in a standardized 19" rack. In the world of guitars your basicalyl buying each piece seperately, basically the power amp, and the preamp, as opposed to getting both combined.

And you could have it sitting on your amp, but your best bet is to put it in a rack, it allows for extra protection, easy to transport, and expandability...eg you can add all sorts of other equipment to the rack.
Quote by take_it_t
Rackmount means you can mount the piece of equipment in a standardized 19" rack. In the world of guitars your basicalyl buying each piece seperately, basically the power amp, and the preamp, as opposed to getting both combined.

And you could have it sitting on your amp, but your best bet is to put it in a rack, it allows for extra protection, easy to transport, and expandability...eg you can add all sorts of other equipment to the rack.

So can I use it without a rack or a preamp? So I can use it by itself???

Would a rack mount unit be better than a pedal??

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
It just means you can place it one of these along with other rack mount units: http://www.junipersdaughter.com/images/theband/rack.jpg (though you don't have to, it looks really ghetto to just have them lying about)

You can use rack stuff together with a normal amp. You just have to head or whatever resting on top of it/next to it. And you can still have normal effect pedals in front of it.

or for excess as far as guitar racks go: http://www.johnpetrucci.com/equipment.html
A rack is simpy just like an enclosure with metal rails along the side for mounting the equipment. You've probably seen them in home theatres, recording studios....etc.

Well it sounds to me your just looking for one piece of equipment right a noise reducer, so no you won't need a preamp, and probably wont even need a rack for a matter of fact if thats all your working with. A preamp would be only needed if your putting the amp in the rack, (I'm not talking about like putting your combo in the rack, but if you were to put the preamp which is where the treble and all that is set, and the poweramp, and the poweramp was sent out to a speaker cabinet. It's hard to really explain but you'll get the idea.

What exactly are you looking at getting?
Quote by seljer
It just means you can place it one of these along with other rack mount units: http://www.junipersdaughter.com/images/theband/rack.jpg (though you don't have to, it looks really ghetto to just have them lying about)

You can use rack stuff together with a normal amp. You just have to head or whatever resting on top of it/next to it. And you can still have normal effect pedals in front of it.

or for excess as far as guitar racks go: http://www.johnpetrucci.com/equipment.html

Thanks for your help guys,

so racks are pretty much the professional version of a pedal? Do I need an amp with a head to use them? I've only got a combo at the moment. Hopefully upgrading to a half stack soon.

Would a rack mount noise gate be better than a pedal? I'm looking at the pedal and the rack version of a couple of noise gates.

And To ^ (take_it_t ) Im after a distortion and a noise suppressor unit. Either pedals or rack mount systems. Hopefully they'll be all I'm getting for the moment.

(Just to be certain - a noise gate is the same as a noise suppressor right? I play with a lot of gain, so I need to eliminate feedback and hum.)

Thanks guys,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Last edited by danastasi at May 21, 2006,
I'm not sure (and I hope I don't ever get a rig, because I might go overboard quickly) but I think the rack equivalent of a pedal is much higher quality, better, and has many more things such as line outs. However, the rack units do cost around 300USD for what the pedal version cost ~100USD.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by Hypnot1st
I'm not sure (and I hope I don't ever get a rig, because I might go overboard quickly) but I think the rack equivalent of a pedal is much higher quality, better, and has many more things such as line outs. However, the rack units do cost around 300USD for what the pedal version cost ~100USD.

Cheers,

Yeah I've seen some that are about the same price whichever one I choose so i was wondering what was better - so u think the rack equivalent is the way to go??

Thanks,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Hah, no your combo will work fine. I think for your scenario your better off with a pedal, it's easier to carry around, and will be easier to add to your rig. The only reason I'd go with rack mount is if you plan on adding lots of rack based equipment, or theres a particular model you want which only comes in rackmount.
Quote by take_it_t
Hah, no your combo will work fine. I think for your scenario your better off with a pedal, it's easier to carry around, and will be easier to add to your rig. The only reason I'd go with rack mount is if you plan on adding lots of rack based equipment, or theres a particular model you want which only comes in rackmount.

Thanks guys,

Appreciated!

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Eventide Harmonizers and UltraHarmonizers are like loads of money....... you're better of with BOSS / Digitech / Line 6 / and even EH pedals......... TC Elecs and Eventide, Lexicon, etc...... are for the "insanely loaded or succesful" musicians......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!