First of all...

What effect does the wood the bass is made out of, affect the sound of the bass?

And.....

What the hell is a High Mass Bridge?

Finally......

How can someone determine which is the best pickup to go with?

Cheers.
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
The density of the wood plays an important part in the tone. A less dense wood will resonate less resulting in worse sustain and less "beef" to your tone.

A high mass bridge is just that, a bridge with a high mass. Look at a stock Fender bridge, now look at a Leo Quann Badass II. The Badass is more massive, so it sohuld give you more sustain.

Pickups tonal qualities vary from wood to wood. A good pickup shold bring out the true sound of your wood. I'm not an expert on how pickups relate to the body of a guitar, so I'll leave this area open for someone else to explain.
also for wood, each type of wood has its own characteristics. from what i gather here's a few examples:

Mahogany gives nice mids, a good low end, but not too bright sounding, whereas

Alder is a very bright tone, the highs are easy to hear, balanced lows and mids

and like each wood has its own qualities. go search up Tone Woods on google if you want info for each one. warmoth.com might also have some info.
Ok, this is sexy so far. On the woods bit, is basswood what I think it is? Awesome low ends and then declining as the sound gets higher?
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
basswood, UNlike the name, is known for its high ends. it has little mids and little low end

its not pronounced like Bass either, its like bass the FISH im pretty sure.
Ok, so how would a basswood body affect the pickups influence on the sound?