I was talking to this drugged out hippie bassist, and he showed me this little thing...

G------9----
D------9----
A------7----
E------0----

And he said it was a 4-String E chord for the bass, then he preceded to tell me there's a bunch of chords you can play on the bass that are like that but didn't have time to show me. Has anyone ever heard of these or know anymore? I'm writeing a song using this one and i was wondering if you guys knew anymore.
umm obviously theres chords.

take any chord that requires the 4 Low strings of guitar, and play it on bass! voila!

but try to learn theory and chord structure, you can use a hella of a lot of doublestops and chords to add a ton of flavour to your playing, its what i do all the time.
That chord is not really a true chord, but more of a double stop with the octave. It's only a power chord and can be played without the open E. If you want more chords and triads then you should check the chord finder on www.officialbass.com
UTBDan would be quick to point out that a chord requires a harmony of at least three notes. A chord with two tones is technically just an interval.

I on the other hand no qualms about calling it a "chord" though technically it is incorrect to do so.

But yeah, sometimes I like to play some major and minor 10ths, and some major and minor 7ths.
The thing about chords, for me, is that even tho its just octave + 5th, so its not REALLY a chord, i would still call it one casually, the same way i sometimes say "pass the coke" even when its a pepsi.

but dont get me wrong, i totally know the difference and i pride myself in knowing more theory than everyone in my band combined. though thats not such a big accomplishment
yeah, that's not a chord. And very rarely is playing a full chord on bass handy, but knowing the full chords can if you play them properly. Hard to concentrate by RHCP and Summertime rolls by Jane's Addiction are two such examples.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
it's a 5th chord, but it's not really a chord, at best a "power chord". im more of a fan of the 10th like shut up you *** said or 9th chords.
one note = ...a note
two notes = double stop (if its just two notes in two voicings. two notes with a reoccurance of either note = not a double stop), diad, interval with root
three notes or more = chord.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by FbSa
And that my friend is why you never trust hippies.

That's true especially if their wearing sunglasses, and never, ever eat their brownies.

I thought that two notes was a harmonic interval or somthing? Anywho I find that using this multiple-note/string mumbo jumbo can add alot of depth to an otherwise rather bland bassline.
I personally use alot of chords and double stops in my songwriting (solo bass stuff).
my favorites would be:

G|--5--5--6--4--|
D|--5--5--------|
A|-----3--3--5--|
E|--5--5--5--5--|

Bass chords are hard to fit into songs when you're playing with others, they just sound out of place.
Quote by elemenohpee
I personally use alot of chords and double stops in my songwriting (solo bass stuff).
my favorites would be:

G|--5--5--6--4--|
D|--5--5--------|
A|-----3--3--5--|
E|--5--5--5--5--|

Bass chords are hard to fit into songs when you're playing with others, they just sound out of place.

i think about fitting them into a song, it just takes a little knowledge and a lot of trial and error figuring out where it should go.

tho think about like Pinch Harmonics. if a guitarist said "hey bassist guy, i learned to do PH's, and i wanna put it in our song" do you think he's just gonna do ONE PH? nah, he's gonna have some verse that goes something like

-0-0-3-0-2(pH)~---0-7-3-5-0-2(ph)

if you know what i mean, thats just a stupid example, but showing you that if you're gonna use a technique, use it more than once, and know where to put it. you see that in a lot of slower paced "crushing" metal songs, they have some chunky power chords followed by a PH that is rung out to give an awesome metal crushing riff.

now take that to chords, and think where you could fit them. and if you're guitraists think you shouldnt play chords because your a bassist, either smack em, or you could take the easy route and dont play the chord all at once, do some arpeggiating, fingerpicking, experiment.