3 8%
Voters: 37.
Page 1 of 2
?? I play metal
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
well I'm not sure because it's like, I don't want to ruin it. I will only put them in if I know it will sound better than the stock
My Gear:

dont ruin the gibson!!!
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
If you're only ever going to play metal unless you want to play something softer.
But... what amp do you have? It's useless getting "good" (to some, definately not me) pickups if you've got a terrible amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
it's an LP studio
My Gear:

amp is a Peavey Valveking stack and i play metal but i want a 81/60 combination
My Gear:

What's the heaviest style the Valveking does? I thought it was a classic rock orientated amp?, as long as you've got an overdrive pedal, you'll probably get what you want with the EMGs.
Are you looking for more gain?
Don't be afraid to care"

no, I'm getting a tubescreamer as well.
My Gear:

Les Paul studios sound terrible with stock PUs

put some EMGs in there and it will sound great

contrary to popular belief emgs can do A LOT more than metal

if you turn the overdrive down you can get an amazing creamy blues tone and the clean is AWESOME

the only thing you can't get is a twang like in country
ok, so I should. Are the stock pick ups worth anything or should I just chuck em' out?
My Gear:

^ you coudl sell them on ebay for a bit. But i would keep em just incase later you sell the studio.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by tabber666
ok, so I should. Are the stock pick ups worth anything or should I just chuck em' out?

From what I hear (not from personal experience) the stock Studio pick-ups are not that great. I'd chuck 'em or give 'em to my guitar store and see what they'd give me and take it.
You might aswell give the stock pickups a good run before you change them, you may like them.
Don't be afraid to care"

My studio lost all of its muddiness especially at the neck when I switched to an 81/89 combo, 89 is like an 85 but coil splittable, when in single at teh neck it was great for sweeping and as a bucker sounded very "woody" and creamy like Santana, the 81 was just plain loud at the bridge, louder than any guitar Ive owned before. That may be due to the ebony fretboard vs. rosewood which i prefer. It definately put my pre amp tubes into overdrive though, you will love it compared to the stock 490R and 498T in a studio.
I've had the stocks for a while, I'm not too impressed. I think I'm going to get an OD first and see how that goes.
My Gear:

You might aswell see how that turns out^
Then if you don't like, you can look at pickups etc.
Don't be afraid to care"

^^I believe the 490r and 498T are ceramic magnet buckers which tend to be lower line in the Gibson lineup, THe 500T sounds better as do the burstbucker AlnicoV I believe.
Quote by CustomCustom
^^I believe the 490r and 498T are ceramic magnet buckers which tend to be lower line in the Gibson lineup, THe 500T sounds better as do the burstbucker AlnicoV I believe.

nope the 490 and 498 are alinco. The 500 and 496 and dirty fingers are the only ceramic ones
Quote by mexican_shred
nope the 490 and 498 are alinco. The 500 and 496 and dirty fingers are the only ceramic ones
thanks i couldnt remember but I do remember the LP studio being a bit muddy and wishing for more distortion when I first brought it home from the store. As much as I liked it when I had to choose one to keep I chose my US Hamer with Duncan JB/Jazz over the Studio with 81/89. I feel a big part of the loud/midrangy sound was due to the ebony fretboard on the studio.
fingers crossed that I sell some stuff because I only just have enough for a tubescreamer right now

PS: will EMGs help to get that metallica tone?
My Gear:

look here's the sad thing

gibson is a dirty company they used to make amazing stuff but sold out their name and only make absolute garbage now

all of their pickups are flat out terrible burstbucker, 57' Classics, 498ts, all of them

they sold out their name and rely on their reputation for sales they started making crap in the early 80s but they have such a reputation and following that they continue to sell

it's one of those companies that I hope just dies one day they make me sick
Quote by tabber666
fingers crossed that I sell some stuff because I only just have enough for a tubescreamer right now

PS: will EMGs help to get that metallica tone?
definately, my studio was the absolutely loudest guitar Ive owned. That is when going from an Ibanez RG570 with EMG81 to plugging in teh studio with 81 on the clean channel the volume went up noticeably without touching the amp settings. But played unplugged the studio was way louder acoustically than any other axe ive owned either.
^the gibby's les paul are very loud acousticly compared to others
yes, they are, i thought it sounded very loud unplugged. I guess that the nitrocelluose

ALSO, i know Kirk and James use EMGs but with my amp and a tubescreamer, I don't know if I will get that tone
My Gear:

^You woudl get liek early metallica Kill-justice with a od and the Valveking and emgs. But it will be very noisey.
noisy? is that as in good or bad noise?
My Gear:

u may want to go beyond the tubescreamer but not a metal pedal, something like a Boss DS1 distoriton with the midrange turned down on teh amp.
distortion on a tube amp?
My Gear:

^yeah that was my reaction. But Vai and Satch do it with their amps.

I think you might need a better amp for metal tho...
^ I'm sure my amp just needs a little boost and it will be perfect for metal
I have been edging away from distortion and onto overdrive. Not sure though
My Gear:

you could buy local try a TS and let teh guy know you would like to exchange for a DS1 if it doesnt suit your needs
well if I do that, I'm gonna have to get the EMGs first so I guess thats what I'm gonna do but my mum thinks I'm mental 'you spend £800 on a guitar and now you want to take it apart?' ha
My Gear:

i find it would ruin the tone of the Gibson..i like the way gibson les pauls look and sound...EMG's would ruin it in my opinion...but do what you want cause its not my money, its yours
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

I'm not interested in the Les Paul tone. I want metal. I will keep the stocks unless I know I want the EMGs to stay. Then, if they are good, goodbye stocks, hello EMGs
My Gear:

Guitars with EMGs in them all sound pretty much the same. Just get an Ibanez or something with a nice neck and put the EMGs in it.
Page 1 of 2