ok i want a epi explorer because i want to stick out when i play (no one in any of the local bands play and explorer) but i hate the distortion and ive been playin a les pual for about 3 year and i absolutly love it! can i change the pickups to make it have more less the tone and crunch that me les pual gets . . . and kind of random are dirty finger pickups any good? let me know what u think! thnx
Get EMGs

your mouth will drop once you hit the distortion pedal

edit: actually since you seem to be a classic rock guy get a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge and a Seymour Duncan 59er for the neck

that combination is the most killer classic rock tone you can get
Last edited by Ihearthetfield at May 21, 2006,
The distortion on my mahogany Epi Explorer left a lot to be desired although the clean was pretty good. As soon as I upgraded to the Gibson Burstbucker Pros, it projected more authority ... not face-melting but very good for the occasional metal. I'm more of classic rock.
What kind of Les Paul are you referring to? For classic rock tones, I'd recommend a PAF clone in the neck position (like a Dimarzio PAF, PAF Pro, etc), and something a little hotter in the bridge. Try out a guitar with a JB in it, some people love them but others find them to be too harsh and trebly. I wouldnt go with something with tons of output IMO as they don't sound nice clean and often sacrifice tone for output- something like a Tone Zone or Dimarzio Joe might be worth looking into for a more shreddy feel to it.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile