Is it necessary to learn other peoples songs to play? I mean I know alot almost everyone does but is it needed to learn to play? I dunno just a thought. Wouldn't just learning theory and everything make lyour style of music much better of the get go instead of learning from someone else? I dunno just a wierd thought.
Quote by neocon58
Retarded pinky? I was excpecting a picture of a pinky in a wheelchair, repeadtedly saying 'pinkay' and grinning.
Course not, I just think it's more fun if you can play something that other people recognise.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Play someone else's stuff cam make you a better guitarrist.Try playing some of Kirk Hammet solos, or Jimi Hendrix.It's not needed...but I agree with alliwant, everyone can recognise popular rock songs.
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Maybe you just suck at the guitar?

Quote by dudeman_andy
feed a pigeon bicarbonate of soda, let it swell up for a while. then feed it to the dogs and

BOOM head shot!

(pigeons explode after having bicarbonate of soda, they cant fart. stupid pigeons.)
It gives a better idea of how structure of songs and how others approach songwriting - sometimes after playing a certain song/riff you then come up with something you never would of otherwise.
Yeah, learning other songs is not only fun, but it can also teach you more about playing.
If you play other peoples songs and like how they sound it influences you when you go to write your own music and then you love the music your writing due to the similarities. I dont mean the same riffs and chord changes just the same basic ideas.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..