So I got my new amp today. The B-52 AT-100 head. I use it with my B-52 cab that I already owned. I chose the head because I already have the cab. Now I am second guessing myself. I could have gotten the combo for the same exactly price and the same amount of volume. Will the 212 combo be as good as the stack? I can always put the combo on the top of the cab and have a 3/4 stack. What do you guys think is the best idea???
The effects built into combos usually taint the overall sound. With the sperartion of the cab and the head you can keep the full integrity of the original sound.
Quote by Smoking Noodles
The effects built into combos usually taint the overall sound. With the sperartion of the cab and the head you can keep the full integrity of the original sound.

What effects? There aren't any effects built in.
wow. thats my setup.

a 212 combo hooked on a 412 cab.

works pretty good for me.

but mine isn't tube. hahahahahahahha.

s'all good.
pushes more tone without cranking a solid state.

but yea.

i prefer a half stack tho.
like the others said.
halling around a 60 pound combo and a 100 pound cabinet is a pain in the behind. yep.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

Quote by jmac72187
What effects? There aren't any effects built in.

I was generalising. Alot of combos come with built-in effects. I did say "usually".
Besides being lighter, I like the fact that the tubes aren't in the same chassis as the speakers too. Not saying it will happen with all combos or anything like that, but I have seen it happen, where having the tubes in the same chassis as the speakers at very high volumes, can cause vibration issues with the tubes. I guess that relates to amp design more than head vs combo though. If they are the same price, that is a tough decision, since you are getting a set of speakers at that price too. lol, sorry. Hmm, if I were planning to keep the amp, I would probably keep the head, just to have the versatility with other cabs and the wieght issues since I'm a smaller guy. If I were just planning to upgrade my amp later, I would probably get the combo, since it might be easier to resell.

You've researched this amp I assume, are there any differences tonally between the 2? I remember something with the 5150 combos, like they were biased a little hotter than the head, so they sounded slightly different stock. Any issues like that with the B-52?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I didn't really see any differences in any of the reviews. They seemed tonally the same. They would be the same speakers in the combo as in the stack because I have the B-52 cab. Seemed people had more reliability issues with the combo than the head. But B-52 had a 5 year warranty on all there amps and speakers so if something goes wrong, its free to fix.
Quote by Erock503
I remember something with the 5150 combos, like they were biased a little hotter than the head, so they sounded slightly different stock.

wierd. i just addressed that in another thread. and yeah, theyre biased much warmer then the heads so they have better cleans and more punch.

but yeah, TS, once youve figured it out you should put up some clips. I havnt really heard all the of the AT-100.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
wierd. i just addressed that in another thread. and yeah, theyre biased much warmer then the heads so they have better cleans and more punch.

but yeah, TS, once youve figured it out you should put up some clips. I havnt really heard all the of the AT-100.

All I have to record is from the Line out of the amp into my Toneport UX1.