Page 1 of 2
What's up with "Remember me? I killed your family, and now I'm going to kill you too." Seems rather odd...
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Andrew Jackson the president? man that sounds so anarcho to me. and Jihad damn i bet that could cause some controversy, i better listen to this band because folk is the best music ever played and bob dylan is my hero and i love this.

those really high pitched vocals make it sound like almost every other folk singer too... EVER.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Last edited by misfitsdisciple at May 21, 2006,
Quote by misfitsdisciple
Andrew Jackson the president? man that sounds so anarcho to me. and Jihad damn i bet that could cause some controversy, i better listen to this band because folk is the best music ever played and bob dylan is my hero and i love this.

those really high pitched vocals make it sound like almost every other folk singer too... EVER.

y'know why his voice sounds high. hes singing. i dont see a problem with singing. and just cause you like folk it doesnt make bob dylan a hero. I actually dont like him very much. who knows their name may be a joke. folk music isnt going for shock value either honey.

im gonna go put on a misfits record and hit my head against a wall.
Quote by LoudnSnotty138
I figured id make a totally false stupid asumtion about fans of a certain type of music also.

ok. well maybe we can make a thread out of it. i think all of those hip hop people are murderers.
Quote by indestructible8
ok. well maybe we can make a thread out of it. i think all of those hip hop people are murderers.

i agree.

I also think people who listen to black metal worship satan and sacrifice babies.
Quote by misfitsdisciple

As opposed to singing songs about killing babies.

**** Bob Dylan... Phil Ochs is where it at. But you wouldn't know because you like people to sound like a dumbed down version of elvis or scream till their throats hurt. God forbid someone try and make something beautiful with punk rock ethics... that'd be counterproductive. But isn't selling 20$ tickets to your shows when you have one original member of the band and encouraging 80's nostalgia and bull**** hero worship counterproductive to the progression of punk rock also?

What the **** do I know? I live in Alabama, there's no scene here and I can't change anything on my own because punk rock is too massive.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
well lets see, where to begin, oh yea. i dont want everyone to sound like some elvis ripoff and i dont want to hear someone screaming all the time, thats why i listen to numerous bands not just misfits, and black flag. but there is a point where i just stop listening to music that i dont like. ie: music like this.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
God I hate Folk.

It AINT PUNK.

Sure it's cool if you like it, but it ain't punk rock.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
at least it's got the ****ing energy and talent, if you don't like the ****in genre then pi ss off outta this thread... you're in the punk thread, and by telling someone you don't like their music, you think that bands gunna give up? you capitalist...
Yeah guys, I'm all for musical progression, but if youre gonna label put stuff like this in here because it has Anarcho lyrics or whatever, I'm going to go ahead and add Rush to the list of punk bands, because their song "The Tree's" is way more political than any of this rubbish.

Thats just my two cents.
SIZE]
Quote by daaave...man
at least it's got the ****ing energy and talent, if you don't like the ****in genre then pi ss off outta this thread... you're in the punk thread, and by telling someone you don't like their music, you think that bands gunna give up? you capitalist...

Wow. I smell a tool.

Using the word capitalist in a sentence doesn't make you more punk buddy.

why is all of a sudden folk music not allowed in here. me and david have been posting bands for months and all of a sudden everyones jumping on the eyehatefolk train.
Yeah.. other than ethos, I never understood why riot-folk got bunched in with punk... I like a lot of it (Some ghost mice, this bike is a pipe bomb, some defiance ohio, johnny hobo and the frieght trains), but it doesn't sound very punk, so I don't understand why it gets labeled that a lot.
Well dude, I'm not trying to be mean, but there are guidelines to punk rock.

Just like there are guidelines to any other genre.

And acoustic just isn't punk rock.
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Well dude, I'm not trying to be mean, but there are guidelines to punk rock.

Just like there are guidelines to any other genre.

And acoustic just isn't punk rock.

That's bull**** man. The Onion Flavored Rings are a ****ing punk rock band and every single one of their songs are with no distortion.

To me, riot folk is just another type of punk music. People let Gogol Bordello threads in here which is essentially folk punk. I think it needs to stay in here because the ideas are to simmilar and it is very sonically similar if you listen to alot of it. It's fast, aggressive and political. That's punk!

Who gives a **** if it has a drummer. Isn't it more DIY if you can play anywhere instead of having to wait for some club to open? I started playing folk-punk out of necessity rather than liking it.

What I'd love to see is all you anti-folks prove me wrong and start a ****ing awesome punk band that makes my music seem lame. I'd love it if someone did that, but no one is doing that. The most growth out of anywhere in Punk music now is comming out of riot folk music. It's called Evolution and Revolution man... get used to it, we can't boogadoogadoogadooga and chuggachuggaghugga forvever!
Quote by whyvern
That's bull**** man. The Onion Flavored Rings are a ****ing punk rock band and every single one of their songs are with no distortion.

To me, riot folk is just another type of punk music. People let Gogol Bordello threads in here which is essentially folk punk. I think it needs to stay in here because the ideas are to simmilar and it is very sonically similar if you listen to alot of it. It's fast, aggressive and political. That's punk!

Who gives a **** if it has a drummer. Isn't it more DIY if you can play anywhere instead of having to wait for some club to open? I started playing folk-punk out of necessity rather than liking it.

What I'd love to see is all you anti-folks prove me wrong and start a ****ing awesome punk band that makes my music seem lame. I'd love it if someone did that, but no one is doing that. The most growth out of anywhere in Punk music now is comming out of riot folk music. It's called Evolution and Revolution man... get used to it, we can't boogadoogadoogadooga and chuggachuggaghugga forvever!

I'm not trying to like offend you dude, but it's acoustic music. Acoustic music with out a drummer=/= Punk Rock.

Sure it's cool and all, but just because it's political doesn't mean it's punk.

But I think it's cool to stay in this forum though.
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
I'm not trying to like offend you dude, but it's acoustic music. Acoustic music with out a drummer=/= Punk Rock.

Sure it's cool and all, but just because it's political doesn't mean it's punk.

But I think it's cool to stay in this forum though.

Where's that a rule though? I've never heard anyone say that you have to have a certain type of instruments to be punk rock.
Yeah, there isn't, but pretty soon if we are too leniant on genres people are gonna think Led Zeppelin is punk.

And aren't you doing the exact same thing with bands like Good Charlotte?
but these bands play punk music though, they just use open chords instead of bar chords. The speed, aggression and ideaology is all there. So what if drums are missing.

I don't think people are stupid enough to put Led Zeppelin or Good Charlotte in here. Even the most entry level punk enthusiasts know that Good Charlotte and Led Zeppelin have absolutely nothing to do with punk rock.
Quote by whyvern
but these bands play punk music though, they just use open chords instead of bar chords. The speed, aggression and ideaology is all there. So what if drums are missing.

I don't think people are stupid enough to put Led Zeppelin or Good Charlotte in here. Even the most entry level punk enthusiasts know that Good Charlotte and Led Zeppelin have absolutely nothing to do with punk rock.

But you are sort of using the same criteria for letting THESE bands be in with the punks. Woody Guthrie is folk, and he has some intensely punk lyrics, why isnt he here? Because he is no punk, he may have alot of things in common with punk, and alot of punks do listen to him, but he just doesnt fit the bill.
SIZE]
Quote by ScummerVacation
But you are sort of using the same criteria for letting THESE bands be in with the punks. Woody Guthrie is folk, and he has some intensely punk lyrics, why isnt he here? Because he is no punk, he may have alot of things in common with punk, and alot of punks do listen to him, but he just doesnt fit the bill.

Honestly, if you listen to all this folk punk stuff that's comming out now, it's too punk to be folk and too folk to be punk. Where else would we talk about it on this forum? Who else would give a **** about it? It's most likely to get a good response in this forum because it appeals to punk rock values and as I've said several times the DIY aspect of it (as opposed to the kind of folk music that exploded in the 60's) makes it very similar to punk rock sonically as well.

I'd love nothing more for kids to prove me wrong and kick all of this folk music out of punk by comming up with something newer and better and applying punk rock values to it, but right now, most kids are sitting around bitching about how they can't change their local scenes. Folk punk is one of the most accesible ways to do that. That's why I think it's so huge right now.

But hey, if you've got a huge problem with it being in here, you could always get the verdict of the forum moderators. I have no problem moving this thread somewheres else, but I think you should think about what bands that were around in 1977 said about bands like Minor Threat in 1982. It sounded nothing like standard '77 punk rock, it was far more aggresive and became obviously more intelligent and political. Ask yourself if you're throwing out a part of the natural evolution of punk rock. If you don't like it any, guess what, folk punk isn't gonna be as big as it is now forever, it'll stay popular for a few years and then only the die-hard fans will be left with it and something else will come along.
Quote by whyvern
Honestly, if you listen to all this folk punk stuff that's comming out now, it's too punk to be folk and too folk to be punk. Where else would we talk about it on this forum? Who else would give a **** about it? It's most likely to get a good response in this forum because it appeals to punk rock values and as I've said several times the DIY aspect of it (as opposed to the kind of folk music that exploded in the 60's) makes it very similar to punk rock sonically as well.

I'd love nothing more for kids to prove me wrong and kick all of this folk music out of punk by comming up with something newer and better and applying punk rock values to it, but right now, most kids are sitting around bitching about how they can't change their local scenes. Folk punk is one of the most accesible ways to do that. That's why I think it's so huge right now.

But hey, if you've got a huge problem with it being in here, you could always get the verdict of the forum moderators. I have no problem moving this thread somewheres else, but I think you should think about what bands that were around in 1977 said about bands like Minor Threat in 1982. It sounded nothing like standard '77 punk rock, it was far more aggresive and became obviously more intelligent and political. Ask yourself if you're throwing out a part of the natural evolution of punk rock. If you don't like it any, guess what, folk punk isn't gonna be as big as it is now forever, it'll stay popular for a few years and then only the die-hard fans will be left with it and something else will come along.

I agree with what you're saying and I wouldnt kick it out, because like you said, this is the only place it would get a responce, just like alot of the New Wave bands and stuff, where else would they go? But I think your example of the 80's hardcore not being accepted by the 77 is a bit different, in the fact that folk-punk is taking heavvvily from folk music, an already established genre. Where as the 80's hardcore was simply new fresh unheard of hardcore. I would have no problem if somone posted about a great new "Folk band with punk influence and anarcho lyrics," but then I guess thats sort of what you did? But I dont see how it should tag the punk label along with it.

And I wont deny that I might have a bias because I dont really appreciate folkish music to its full potential, I might be quicker to shoot it down, but I can't really help how I feel you know?
SIZE]
whyvern, bro. long time no talk. i wholeheartfully agree with you on this issue. during my long absense from ug, one of the many things i've discovered is folk. and all you guys who are ragging on folk (which i didnt know was such a big issue) should know that pretty much all of the movers n shakers of the whole 80s underground were influenced in a big part by artists from the 60s (the music that they grew up with). folk was a big part of that. and as you should know, punk is not necessarily just a sound, its a lifestyle -- hell, the punk rock attitude dates back to god knows (take a look at the whole beatnic scene). folk is one of the closest genres (in spirit, not sound) to punk, protest songs n all.

expand your minds, homies. the worst part of punk is how it all sounds similar and cliché. these guys are doing something different, and from what ive heard it sounds awesome. the more people start experimenting with different sounds but still keeping the same ethics and ideals, the better punk will become.
Is that you, John Wayne?..Is this me?
Quote by whyvern
**** Bob Dylan... Phil Ochs is where it at.

im sorry but Bob Dylan is way better then Phil Ochs
I'm with Prince.

Bob Dylan ****ing Owns.
i always thought punk was way more about the message than the sound, and they both have the same message
Quote by deantrantham111
i always thought punk was way more about the message than the sound, and they both have the same message

Who the hell are you? Haha.. but anyways...

The message is important, but not all punk songs have any real message. they don't have to.. so obviously it's based on a sound.

Personally, I feel that riot-folk is a separate entity than just folk music... at least, most of it is because of the anarcho-lyrics...

I can't stand listening to riot-folk if the message is lame.. kind of like the ghost mice album "europe" God that album is lame.
Quote by LoudnSnotty138
i agree.

I also think people who listen to black metal worship satan and sacrifice babies.

because black metal is definitely about that. Uh-huh.

Tool.

The vocals were henious, I didn't really dig much of it.. at all.. I don't hate folk music, either. Hmm. Maybe I'm just missing something.
Quote by chrus
whyvern, bro. long time no talk. i wholeheartfully agree with you on this issue. during my long absense from ug, one of the many things i've discovered is folk. and all you guys who are ragging on folk (which i didnt know was such a big issue) should know that pretty much all of the movers n shakers of the whole 80s underground were influenced in a big part by artists from the 60s (the music that they grew up with). folk was a big part of that. and as you should know, punk is not necessarily just a sound, its a lifestyle -- hell, the punk rock attitude dates back to god knows (take a look at the whole beatnic scene). folk is one of the closest genres (in spirit, not sound) to punk, protest songs n all.

expand your minds, homies. the worst part of punk is how it all sounds similar and cliché. these guys are doing something different, and from what ive heard it sounds awesome. the more people start experimenting with different sounds but still keeping the same ethics and ideals, the better punk will become.

Chrus! It's great to see you back and see that after these years we've found ourselves with the same ideas!
Page 1 of 2