I'm looking to get a dark, brutal metal tone with hot leads out of my guitar and I was wondering how well a Maxon OD9 pedal work to help boost my Peavey XXX 112? I'm looking to get the best tone I can get so if there's any other overdrives that would work better for me, please let me know [my budget is limitless ]. Thanks!
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Should work.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Generally speaking...

The TS/OD models CUT low mids, seemingly give you a high mid/treble spike, thusly giving you a brighter tone.

If you want a darker tone with your amp, a od-9 is not the solution.

And you shouldn't need a booster for a triple xxx?
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Generally speaking...

The TS/OD models CUT low mids, seemingly give you a high mid/treble spike, thusly giving you a brighter tone.

Well, making this a dark sounding amp isn't a hard task . It's pretty versatile and I can basically get any sound I want out of it [in terms of metal]. I also just ordered a calibrated set of Bare Knuckle Waripigs and now I want to get something else to push my tone even farther, and every thread I've read about OD pedals say they seem to help your tone a lot so I say why not. I was just seeing if the OD9 was the best direction for me for the tone I want or if there was something else that would suit my needs better?

Quote by Mascot

Thanks for the link! haha, your quote was verrrry sig worthy and someone had to do it .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Last edited by Jarrott at May 22, 2006,
The OD9 is a great pedal but I don't really know the exact sound your looking for. If I were you I would find out what gear your favorite bands use to get an idea of what to get.
^
I'm looking for a pedal that will let me do genres ranging from mathcore, metalcore, thrash metal, death metal type, and so on. I listen to bands like Fall of Troy, Children of Bodom, Between The Buried And Me, Darkest Hour, Lamb of God, SikTh, Ion Dissonance, Dillinger Escape Plan, Into The Moat, to give many examples .

http://protonepedals.com/pedal_bodyrot2.shtml

I'm considering this pedal, or a Maxon OD9. Can aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyone recommend anything else? Any help? Anything? Please!
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
Peavey Triple XXX 112
MY ts-9 (not the same but its a screamer) gives me a darker tone when i use it. Adds more mids and low ends. Just bring your amp to the store and try out various
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Generally speaking...

generally speaking doest apply to this situation

i have a XXX witha OD9 in front of it and it actually brings alot of fullness into the sound...i love it...just make sure u have a noise gate or prepare to keep both gains at around 2.5
IT might make the sound full, but it doesn't make it darker.

He said he wanted a DARK metal tone. Low mids = Dark. Therefore, cutting low mids will give you a brighter tone.

Threadstarter said nothing about depth.

*Sigh* Some people..
ahh, well, I dunno how to describe it. Maybe I'm using the wrong words, who knows? When I listen to the metal I listen to, I hear a nice, dark tone behind it. With my amp I can get that tone, except not as full. I figured an OD pedal will help to boost my sound and help bring me closer to that nice, thick metal tone .

So... now, once again, would a Maxon OD9 be best for this or would there be something better to help push my sound? Thanks!
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Maxon are basically the best OD around IMO, they're a great base to start with, cheaper then regular TS usually, and they're a bit higher quality IMO.

Ive got an OD-808 and it will certainly boost your tone, you dont need ALOT of boost, so I'd say just about any OD pedal will do the trick, but its up to you what kind of features you want to get with it.

The OD-9 ist rue bypass and has a bit more gain than the OD-808. the OD-808 is virtually silent operation, though, i own one and i cant tell the difference between it plugged in and straight into my amp..

Now, you have a 'limitless' budget but the question is how far are you willing to go to get what you need?

Do you need frills, bells, and whistles, or are you only looking for a boost? Sometimes a simple boss pedal with $5-$10 worth of componets can be just as useful as a $250 keeley modded pedal... You know what I mean? You only NEED what gets the job done. In your case, a simple boost is all you really require..

BUT right now I'm looking at alot of the Keeley boosters, such as the TS-9DX or whatever, that thing looks ****ing SWEET. Maxon also make an OD-808/OD-9 combo that also serves as a clean boost, where you can completely shut off the distortion, that looks pretty good too..
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 23, 2006,
The Maxon 808 is a better choice than the OD-9. Another option it to get an 808-modded Ibanez Tube Screamer.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor