I have a Right-Handed Stratocaster imitation.

Being left-handed, I made like my super-friend Jimi Hendrix. I switched all strings.

So my first string is E1, my last, E6.

But my E6 couldnt fit in the ''string lining'' thats how I call it (The withe bar before the headstock, after the neck)

So I practiced some cuts in it. And it fits!!

But when I play a E from that string (without touching a fret (0)) it sounds like a F (1st fret).

So I have one question:

What (Why) the F*ck??!!
..Tune it so that your open string (without touching fret (0)) is an E?

Edit: Ok I think I see what you mean.. like if you fret the first fret, then take your finger off.. it's the same note? Then that has something to do with your intonation.. some1 will know how to fix that.
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
So... You strung your right-handed guitar backwards to play left-handed...
You cut the nut so that your E string would fit into the e slot?

And now, whenever you play E open, it sounds like F on the first fret?

Hate to point out the obvious... But have you tuned your guitar since reversing it?
It might be an action problem. When you don't fret the string, is it touching the 1st fret?

You can always get a new nut.
A better title for this thread: "I Busted My Nut"

To answer your question, tt2skates has already answered it. I am no longer needed. Thank you.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
A better title for this thread: "I Busted My Nut"

No, it woudln't, because he didn't "bust" his nut.
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Quote by Trivium
No, it woudln't, because he didn't "bust" his nut.

youre right

the BEST title would be

dude- i just ****ed my nut up!!

solution- new nut- or a little glue in the hole and re cut the nut
You should of taken your nut to a pro to have it done properly. Filing down nuts is a pro job that should be left to the pro's .

Sounds to me you've filed away to much and the strings now sittin on the first fret.

busted nut, dont worry man. You're intention's were good.
Last edited by Preid at May 21, 2006,
cant you just slide the nut out of postition, rotate it 180 degrees, and slide it back in so the strings fit rather than trying to resize it?
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
well he already made the cuts.

so get some white glue put a dab in the low cut slot and sprinkle baking soda on it. itll harden and u can reshape the nut, try again.

next time to file u wrap a little sandpaper around a toothpick tip.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Lgndkllr777
cant you just slide the nut out of postition, rotate it 180 degrees, and slide it back in so the strings fit rather than trying to resize it?

If its a strat its one of thoes built into the neck kind. A experienced guitar guy has to do it.

I dont think you want to go trying to chizzel one of thoes loose and ****ing up the necks finish.
Yeah, this is one of the few jobs I'd recommend leaving to the professionals, because you need special tools.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I did mine, with a razorblade, it came out alright. If I measured it up correctly it would have been better though....
Quote by Lgndkllr777

if you successfully unglue it, then yes. or the other easy method...buy a left hand nut
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Preid
If its a strat its one of thoes built into the neck kind. A experienced guitar guy has to do it.

I dont think you want to go trying to chizzel one of thoes loose and ****ing up the necks finish.

I did it myself; and I am by no means an 'experienced guitar guy'. I replace the nuts on both my guitars; and they both turned out perfect (I didn't slot the nuts, btw).
Quote by mr_hankey
I did it myself; and I am by no means an 'experienced guitar guy'. I replace the nuts on both my guitars; and they both turned out perfect (I didn't slot the nuts, btw).

You're more experienced than out friend here.