Well im a 26 year old that is looking for a hobby, what do i know about guitars?... absolutely nothing. my question is what electric guitar should be my beater. the music i like to learn and solo is modern rock. what should be my beginers guide to? I searched that it is good to have a experienced teacher but I also read how its good to teach yourself. I guess it depends on the person getting stuck or not. as far as the amount of money i want to put in my set-up. maybe 3-$500.
Any help?
okay jeff, i highly suggest that you buy a book called "Monster scales and modes" it explains alot, and teaches you scales and alot of things you should know...as for a guitar, a good beginner guitar is a fender Squier strat. not expensive, and it comes with a book on how to play and read music. I got it and now im doing really well. the guitar is still doing good.
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin
My penis is quite literally trembling in fear.

FLOCKDRAW!!!!!!! EPICS!!!!!
First of all concerning the setup...starting with accoustic guitar is good. i realised it after about 4 years when i started learning accoustic guitar and had quite a bit of trouble with it becuase my fingers still werent strong enough. so i recommend to start out on accoustic. if you wanted to get an electric first, i can really fully reccomend the yamaha pacifica 112 which retails at about 200?. it suits all styles just fine and its a quality guitar for the price. i was very happy with mine.

concerning self taught vs teacher...i taught myself for one year and then got a decent teacher. trust me, a teacher helps. he helps you with obvious thinks you would have never thought of, little tidbits of valuable information resulting from his experience. he will also make you sure you dont get used to bad habits and such. i took lessons for 2 years and it really helped me. taking lessons past that is only senseful with a GOOD teacher who can really take you further. cause imho, you can do pretty decent on your own from then on.
I started with a squir strat. Go take lessons and dont quit practicing until it sticks into your head! If you have problems with power chords tune the top string to a D then play power chords there. When you get better you can tune it up or keep it the same.

My experience was that i took guitar lessons in 4th grade for about 2 years to just get the scales down. Then my teacher retired and I taught myself how to read tabs. From then on I had been teaching myself.
seriously, dont buy a squier. me and my friend started at the exact same time. i bought the pacafica 112, he bought a squier...the squier is crap compared to the pac. its a whole different league! he bought a new guitar after half a year, i kept mine for 2 years!
can I get the 112L anywhere here in the U.S. I searched and all i see is UK online stores.
well any left handed guitar, i saw alot of squier strat guitars selling online.
Last edited by Jeff1979 at May 21, 2006,
Get a standard fender AT LEAST, don't settle for a squier.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Well If you want an electric just for a hobby, I would look at some Squire Strats for a good beginner's guitar. But if you want to learn guitar and stick with it I would start on an acoustic guitar.
okay lets try some embarasing questions for an electric guitar,
will i need an amp and speaker or do these hold there own sound for a small room? and do they have a headset jack?
Quote by 2slick2
First of all concerning the setup...starting with accoustic guitar is good.
Actually that's a common myth. If you like the sounds of electric, go electric. Don't buy an acoustic just because someone says it's better to start out with.

-SD
Go for a Fender

You will need a practice amp if you're playing the electric guitar. Good ones are the Roland Cube series not just because they sound great but because some of them have fancy effects that'll keep you happy and your creative juices flowing. Most practice amps will have a headset jack.

Good luck and have fun

Benny
ಥ_ಥ
what do you think of this

and yes im a strong lefty.
Last edited by Jeff1979 at May 22, 2006,
that looks like a good guitar, jeff, but you won't have much to spend on an amp, concerning your budget.

also, take good care of it because you may want to sell it for whatever reason and good condition is obviously gonna get more price in than a piece of crap.

also, start out in standard, then, with experience and theory under your belt, try alternate tunings.
Quote by 2slick2
seriously, dont buy a squier. me and my friend started at the exact same time. i bought the pacafica 112, he bought a squier...the squier is crap compared to the pac. its a whole different league! he bought a new guitar after half a year, i kept mine for 2 years!

What the hell did he do to that guitar!!? I have had my Squier for about 5 years now, and it still looks great aside from a single scratch in the finish. It is after 5 years of guitar playing that I am considering a new guitar. If you take care of the guitar, most will last you a long time.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Yea a lot of people brag about being self taught, which is impressive, but some people just need some guidance whereas others dont. I've been wanting lessons for a while but with me going off 2 college soon (My class start june 19th, bleh) I just wont have time.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Actually that's a common myth. If you like the sounds of electric, go electric. Don't buy an acoustic just because someone says it's better to start out with.

-SD

Exactly, start with the one you like more, you will stick with it much better than if you start with one you don't like. Either way, when you get into it more, you will find yourself wanting an acoustic eventually.

Edit:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/RolandCube151x815WGuitarComboAmp?sku=480022
+
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EpiphoneLesPaul100LeftHandedElectricGuitar?sku=518664
or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/FenderStandardStratLeftHandedElectricGuitar?sku=510001
Last edited by Zofar at May 22, 2006,
Buy an electric especially if that's what you want. I would always recommend that
anyway because as a beginner EVERYTHING is hard. No need to make it even
harder with a harder instrument to play.

What you SHOULD be concentrating on from the get-go is the basic body mechanics
that will train your fingers in the best way possible for playing. If you begin by
getting the guitar principles book (www.guitarprinciples.com) and working on that
for a few months (along with some basic chords) you'll be well ahead of the game.