my guitar teacher said to learn a song thats long, and break it into parts and just practice them everyday but just not to learn a complicated song. I was thinking of learning stairway to heaven, and i was just wondering of maybe thats a good idea. I've only been playing for a short while and i just want to see if it's a good idea to learn this song. Thanks.

P.S i know how ridiculously retarded this sounds but im new to guitar, and i dont really know too much about learning new songs and such.
"If my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair."
-Led Zeppelin

Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Go to the home page for ultimate guitar and search it in the tabs section. And yeah, its probably a good idea to learn the song. If you have the patience, you can just listen to it and figure out what you should play on your own (Without yabs)
ya i started learning that song the day i got my guitar, lol.....but seriously ya its a good song to learn.....i can play most and ive been playing guitar around 3 months
that song is the ultimate guitar song i think if you can get through that whole song you can no longer be called noob hahaha but yeah this song is great to learn awesome chord practice i've been playin for 6months and i know all of it sept the solo im to scared of learnin it i dont think im worthy haha
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
That was the first song that I learned, other than the smoke on the water and seven nation army riffs. I love it, but I don't recommend that you play it around other people very much. Everyone seems to hate it and think that it's way too overplayed and overrated. Damn stairway to heaven haters.
No stairway *points to sign* LOL
Quote by uterus
so he can purify his air, asshole.

My Rig:
Customized Squire Strat
Vox Valvetronix 100VT
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball strings
Quote by stratster23
No stairway *points to sign*

Denied.
Waynes World?^
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
its a good song...but your gonna need some tabs for the beginning of the song...its not simple power chords like the ending plays while jimmy solos.

its some pretty complex chord shapes...check out the tab and have fun...then learn the solo...it'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up the first time you finally get it down.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
The solo's gonna take a while though. So don't be disappointed if you don't get it down right away. Took me 7 months to get it down properly with the picking and all. 7 months since i started playing that is.
Quote by guitarforever<3
The solo's gonna take a while though. So don't be disappointed if you don't get it down right away. Took me 7 months to get it down properly with the picking and all. 7 months since i started playing that is.

i learned it in 2 hours...of course i already had plenty of experience with soloing...all depends on where your at as a guitarist i guess. amazing how quick you can learn any solo once you know your neck...its almost like you get the outline for what the solo is in your mind and your fingers do the rest because they know the scale the guy was using and you can kinda get a feel for what he was trying to do.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Well, actually learning the solo didn't take me more than a day of practising.. maybe 4-5 hours. But then i didn't pick all the notes like i should have (I didn't know alternate pciking), i just tapped and pulled Anyways, then i'd been playing for 6 months. Then i learned it by alternate pciking at 7 months
love that song, i can play most of it, apart from a few parts of it.
My teacher made me do the same thing, break it into parts.
u can do it, have fun with it its a fun song to learn, the best part is the challenge, being able to play the solo to this or even the chords such as the intro picking opens u up to being able to play other songs, Good luck!
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
hmm well i guess the my doubts of learning this song are gone. How long do you think it would take to really get the solo down? keep in mind i've been playing for about 2-3 months.
"If my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair."
-Led Zeppelin

Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
it depends, I had troubles with it, along with many other solos I tried to learn, but that turned out to be the guitar I was using, soon as I bought a new one I found I could play everything easily. It isn't really that hard, you just need a strong enough index finger to bar the 5th fret. even if you can do the stairway solo, and it is something most guitarists learn, it'll only impress people who have never picked up a guitar, just don't play it in a guitar store
I know it all except the very very end as I haven't been bothered to learn it.

I think every guitarist should be able to play it no matter how clichéd it is.
Martin

Gibson 2004 LP Standard Limited Edition 60s Neck in Manhattan Midnight,
Fender 2005 American Stratocaster in Chrome Red with Maple Neck,
Squier Affinity P-Bass Metallic Blue,
Marshall DSL-401,
Fender Rumble 15.
Quote by bonchie1
i learned it in 2 hours...of course i already had plenty of experience with soloing...all depends on where your at as a guitarist i guess. amazing how quick you can learn any solo once you know your neck...its almost like you get the outline for what the solo is in your mind and your fingers do the rest because they know the scale the guy was using and you can kinda get a feel for what he was trying to do.

wow dude, we need to be in a band together

IM also a killer soloist. I learn solos pretty fast!

I learned it in a month tho (the picking of the song) I really suck at that picking tho. Im good at powerchord rythm ex: metallica. But im best like solos in anyway.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
I love that song, and think that it a good song for anyone to learn. And any dick that thinks you are a n00b for playing it can go to hell, because I bet he can only play 2 measures of it. A real man plays the whole thing through.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by bonchie1

What scale was Jimmy using? I was always under the impression that he never really composed his soloes, based off of scales. He just...let his emotion flow through his fingers.
Quote by Zakk Wylde
Just shut up and play your guitar.

The Bishop of Zeppelinism-PM TheHeartbreaker to join

President of Califrado-PM me to join
its a common misconception that its an easy song...the solo is actually a pretty advanced solo.

most people can not do the part that repeats over and over towards the end then hit that bend perfectly.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by 70'sdude
What scale was Jimmy using? I was always under the impression that he never really composed his soloes, based off of scales. He just...let his emotion flow through his fingers.

whether he knew what scale he was using or not...it was a scale...

as for what it was...its a modification of the c major penatonic. he jumpes all around skipping certain notes and stuff but thats the basic scale.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Its c major? I always thought it was a modification of A minor pentatnoic. And that would be the f sharp as far as major pentatonics are concerned. Am i wrong then?
Quote by bonchie1
its a common misconception that its an easy song...the solo is actually a pretty advanced solo.

most people can not do the part that repeats over and over towards the end then hit that bend perfectly.

Naw, it's on the high end of beginner at best. If you want pretty advanced bends/pentatonic look to Paul Gilbert. It'd be a good song to learn. It would help you learn patience for learning other long songs down the road.