My G string becomes unwound above the fret wire very quickly, this causes an enormous amount of buzz and eventually intonation and tuning problems, what should I do?
btw changing my strings every week is not an option.
Last edited by flytv12 at May 21, 2006,
ya, it always starts above the 6th fret and when it gets really bad you can see the core of the string between the 6th and 8th frets.

PS by core I mean the thin string that the winding is wound around.
yeah i got yah. it sounds like you need to have a fret dressing done on your guitar or possibly even have it refretted completely. take it to any stringed instrument repair shop and they should be able to tell you what's going on for sure though.
^o ****, that sucks, this guitar is only about 6 months old.

does it matter that it only happens on one string?
i'd say that if your guitar is only six months old you probably just somehow nicked that fret a little bit... just enough to give it a little rough spot or abrasion that would cause your string to fray like that. it doesn't take much of a rough spot on a fret to rip up a string considering the speed and frequency that it is vibrating at. i would think you could probably fix this really easily by just filing the fret a little to smooth it back out.
I'd also try another brand of strings too...just to see if that has anything to do with it.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
lol. g string. unwound.

hilarious.
Nowadays all the songs on the radio, all drive me crazy.
Try rubbing some 000 steel wool on the frets that are causeing the wear. Also do as roamingboard suggested and try a different brand of strings.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Try rubbing some 000 steel wool on the frets that are causeing the wear. Also do as roamingboard suggested and try a different brand of strings.

Yeh, definitely sounds like your fret is too sharp/rough and is taking its toll on the string.

I second what Corduroy said ^^
My God, it's full of stars!