Not entirely sure if this is the right section but here goes anyway;

Just watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIYMe4pUewk&search=parisienne

How in gods name does Gary get so much sustain on those notes (about half way through)? I noticed he kneels down to do something just before hand but you cant see if hes turning on a pedal or something.

Tried it a few times on my s470, no luck. Even moved around trying to get some juicy feedback going but got nowhere.

Any ideas? Its where i'm up to in learning the song, It doesnt sound as good without that little crowd pleaser in the middle.
Bigger strings, a lil bit of distortion, good pickups, good amp, and it may be as close as him (Remember that the guy is playing live, totally different sustain than your basement lol)
He's the greatest player of our time, and IMO, thats what gives the sustain.

My guitar teacher has actually played with him, onstage. Its great.
sustain pedal? I have one on my BOSS me-50 and you can play a note go out f or a bite to eat and come back and the note will still be ringing.
"The shopowner and his son ... well that's an entirely different story altogether ... I had to beat them to death with their own shoes."
Also know tom morello could get a feedback sustain like that, completely static that would actually last forever, which is why morello pwns this trashy 80s mullet
Its the Heritage guitars and if it werent for Digitech inventing the Whammy pedal you'd have never heard of Morellos noise making ass. That vid was melody from heaven
how the hell is morello involved in this convo anyways? whatever... I find it helps to use the rythm pickup, dec amount of gain and a good chunk of reverb... and Les Pauls always help too, you can always get more sustain outta a paul then a strat or anything else
Quote by sral76
Les Pauls always help too, you can always get more sustain outta a paul then a strat or anything else

i recently bought a mij tokai les paul and i was shocked the amount of sustaine i get compared to my other guitars
Quote by rubberbullets
Also know tom morello could get a feedback sustain like that, completely static that would actually last forever, which is why morello pwns this trashy 80s mullet

why because he uses a pedal and the other guy uses pure techinque. I think not
There are also sustainer systems that constantly send vibrations through picked stings which give it infinite sustain.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by Shorrock
why because he uses a pedal and the other guy uses pure techinque. I think not

Moore is using feedback to get the sustain aswell. I've asked him how he used to do it.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Have your amp loud and stand in front of it (not the gain at death metal 11 so it goes into high pitched ear peircing feedback, just loudness, so you can FEEL what you're playing)

The tone is really similiar to Santana - Europa and I think I read some interview with him where he mentions that thats how he does it.
two other ways that help i didnt see mentioned yet...

raise ur action a little,
add weight to the headstock, (they even sell a $15 thumb clamp)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah on santana.com he tells you how he does it, but basically what he says is... Places himself in a certain place in relation to the (Mesa) amp and uses a volume pedal....as for the other guy I dunno probably the same?
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005