This is a thread intended to help people who aren't sure of what genre they play to put in ads in a newspaper or something.

I'll kick it off:

I've never been in a band, so I would like to put in an advert for my bassplaying services. I'll give an example of a riff I made up to help

G-4-2h3p2--0
D--------2b5
A2----------
E-----------

-Max
I wouldn't restrict myself to a genre.

Instead I'd give examples of bands that you play similarly to.
yea when ppl ask me what kind of music i play i just tell them what bands we sound like
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
You bend the E to a G?
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I'm not sure what bandas I sound like, to be honest, I like black sabbath, primus, and what little tool I've managed to listen to(not alot) not sure I sound like 'em, though.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
I'm not sure what bandas I sound like, to be honest, I like black sabbath, primus, and what little tool I've managed to listen to(not alot) not sure I sound like 'em, though.

well you don't have to limit yourself to one genre at all. I know the problem of putting down say....primus might make a metal band think "eh, and the same if you put down say, Slayer, and put off funk bands, but in the end, you need to think weather you'd be happy playing one certain genre with a band, and maybe just playing the others in your spare time, or weather you want a band that will take into account all these influences, and make the most of them.

I did the second, i found an add saying "original musicians wanted, influences include blah, but not essential" and now we have a Grunge song, a ska-ish song, a ****ing Dance-metal song, along with a lot of alternative stuff with jazzy interludes.

If you are to put an ad up, don't say that "you sound like", say "influences include"- at least that way they won't expect you to sound like them/be put off by thinking you are something you are not.

Alex
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.