Well my band is looking for the first gig and we are wondering...where to start???
Quote by Refixer
Start with a song to get the crowd pumped, something everyone knows.

good info, but he was asking where.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
Well, a lot of times, clubs already have a house PA that you can use, and hopefully a sound guy who knows what the hell he's doing.
i'd say try and contact other bands at your school or in your area to set up something. then find a local club and book a time, print tickets, sell tickets and hope you make money
go to a dam store like wallmart and play outside on the street and ask for donations
Quote by GuitarJunkie
i look down upon men who dont masturbate on a regular basis..they are helping perpetuate prostate cancer..and they are lying if they say the dont

now its time for me to go reduce my risk of prostate cancer.

The best way is to play with bands on your level.. so VERY begineer bands as the other guy stated. Here are some other ideas:

Private/Birthday Parties
the Park (If they have the facility)
Rec Center
Bowling Alleys
Depends on your style of music, resturant/coffeehouse/etc.
Start looking through your phone book under arts & entertainment. Read the newspaper.

I am also an advocate for saying that there is ALWAYS a place for your band to play no matter how horrible the band is or if it seems you can't find a gig in your area.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
yah, if you have a rich friend with a big house and a good enough PA just do an outdoor gig thing for friends, we got like 70 people doing someones birthday. Its also relaxed and a hell of alot less scary than the club situation as your comfortable with everyone there
Welcome to Neverland. Here we have a PA system, and a bed large enough for the both of us.
Lol, try

- schools
- bars
- clubs
- parties
- bowling allies
- parks
- community events
- on top of a large pickup (AC/DC did this before they were famous)
At school this year we wanted to do a show so we did a "Hurricane relief show" and invited 6 other bands and the school covered it all because it was to benifit hurricane katrina. U could try somehting similar.