Poll: Which Guitar.
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Guitar.
Yamaha FG700S
7 50%
Alvarez RD20S
7 50%
Other (Please list and state why)(Under $250)
0 0%
Voters: 14.
price limit: I wanna get a guitar, case or gig-bag, and tuner for $300. I play various types including Incubus, eric clapton, counting crows, taking back sunday....every type of music.
RD8 is a slightly better deal IMHO, and it would only run you around $250 with a case. It's a pure acoustic dreadnought, and I personally think it sounds extremely nice. My $.02
^-- i dont think it does either... thus making it not a better deal imo
It doesn't. For very little more, the RD20 sounds much better, and will get better with time.

However, I voted for the Yamaha.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by jimtaka
^-- i dont think it does either... thus making it not a better deal imo

Two things:

1) Oops. I thought the guitar he was looking at was an acoustic-electric cutaway (it's actually the RD20SC--my bad). I never liked the sound of cutaways as much as a full-bodied guitar.

2) It looks like the RD20S retails for around $320, according to the Alvarez site. Do you think it's worth that much extra $$ to get a solid top? Not being argumentative here, I just don't know.
Quote by jimtaka
EDIT: 320 is the list price, it says it on musicians friend

Fair enough, it said $320 was the retail at the Alvarez site. Weird. Probably just using terminology differently. Anyways, yeah I've only bought like....actually wow, I've bought 4 guitars now. I just got two more last week, but I'm hardly a collector. Would you say that the solid top is worth the extra $$ though? I've never been perfectly clear on exactly what makes a solid top guitar better.

EDIT: not doubting that they are--that's certainly the conventional wisdom.
It seems as though everyone likes the Yamaha. Still no opportunity to play one unless i drive an hour to Guitar Center near philly. Are they comparable to any other guitar?

Edit: I might actually be heading toward philly this weekend, so maybe I can play one.
Last edited by Kollarism at May 22, 2006,
Well seeing as how it looks like you've got your guitar picked out, I figure a little help with the tuner won't hurt. Intellitouch Tuner . That's all you'll ever need in a tuner. Best investment for my guitar I ever made
Quote by doggy_hat
And I can always borrow my friend's urine.

Love is the water of life, drink it with heart and soul---Rumi

----i love to drink----
an hour isn't that far to go really. i'd make the trip if i was you... actually the nearest guitar center to where i live is a little over 45 minutes away and i still go up there all the time
Here is my advice:

1. Go to a local decent, and BIG guitar store. Play everything there, regardless of price. Decide what you like, and then buy something slightly out of your price range.

The problem with buying something cheap is that you run a real good chance of getting something you won't enjoy playing at all, and good luck picking up a guitar and practicing everyday when you hate the way it feels, sounds, and smells. Not to mention when you suddenly realize the tuners have a 6-1 ratio or something rediculous.

If you buy something slightly more expensive, it will have at least SOME resale value, as opposed to NONE. If you end up getting out of playing guitar, and sell it, you'll be down about the same amount, except that you'll have given yourself a chance to learn on something half decent.

or,

2. Buy a Japanese made Epiphone from the 70's-80's period off ebay. I have never ever played a guitar that sounds and plays better than the one I bought to sell...and then fell in love with. Sounds richer than any J-45 I've played...no joke. I have a PR-650ASB. I believe the Texans from that era are for auction pretty regularly, and if anyone knows anything about Paul McCartney he swears by that guitar, as do many others.

The Japanese era guitars are not well known, so they sell cheap. Mine was $190. You could probably get one cheaper. I have slowly but surely found that they have a cult-like following. You won't be sorry. But, as with any used instrument, you may have to have it set up.

Good luck. The important thing is that you enjoy what you play, and if you do, it is worth the investment you make initially. That sentence doesn't work the other way around. ;-)
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Quote by lieutfunaki
2. Buy a Japanese made Epiphone from the 70's-80's period off ebay. I have never ever played a guitar that sounds and plays better than the one I bought to sell...and then fell in love with. Sounds richer than any J-45 I've played...no joke. I have a PR-650ASB. I believe the Texans from that era are for auction pretty regularly, and if anyone knows anything about Paul McCartney he swears by that guitar, as do many others.

The Japanese era guitars are not well known, so they sell cheap. Mine was $190. You could probably get one cheaper. I have slowly but surely found that they have a cult-like following. You won't be sorry. But, as with any used instrument, you may have to have it set up.

Good luck. The important thing is that you enjoy what you play, and if you do, it is worth the investment you make initially. That sentence doesn't work the other way around. ;-)

Yes.

I have a friend who has a japanese epiphone from the 70's-80's he found in a pawn shop. It was in pretty bad shape but he bought it on a gamble and had a shop fix up the bridge and action, etc. There are still a few dents and holes in the soundboard and sides, but it sounds and plays AMAZING. It has these beautiful ringing highs. The whole sound quality is very nice.

...I should do that. Do you know what kind of e-bay search I should make?
Quote by Slurgi
Yes.

I have a friend who has a japanese epiphone from the 70's-80's he found in a pawn shop. It was in pretty bad shape but he bought it on a gamble and had a shop fix up the bridge and action, etc. There are still a few dents and holes in the soundboard and sides, but it sounds and plays AMAZING. It has these beautiful ringing highs. The whole sound quality is very nice.

...I should do that. Do you know what kind of e-bay search I should make?

Yeah, mine was a gamble too, but the best gamble I've ever taken!!!

Regarding the kind of ebay search, the beauty of it all is that no one knows they are good. So good luck finding a means of finding them without looking through a million and one guitars under a search like "epiphone acoustic."

However, the headstock of that era is pretty distinct. I've attached two pictures. One is a MIJ Epiphone Texan, the other is a modern Epiphone Dove. Notice that the headstock is substantially wider at the bottom end on the MIJ models.

To find one, perhaps the best option is to look for something that says "vintage" as this tends to be a keyword about 60% of the time for this era of guitars.

Good luck.
Attachments:
EpiDoveNT3.jpg
EP3.jpg
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65