Alright I have jackson DXMG with ****ty EMG HZ pups. Im thinkin about puttin some new ones in. But now ive been hearin that EMG pups suck? even the 81's and 85's?
Any way, Im just lookin for a nice heavey tone.
(Click avatar to see what bands I like....)
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Strings
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Sticking with EMG's here, definatley an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 60 in the neck. The 60 gives those nice cleans while the 81 brings the heavy tone. Especially with that 5150 and 1960 cab!
Duncan Distortion or Dimarzio Super Distortion are pretty thick and heavy.

the 81 and 85 set is nice too.

next time you make a pickup thread. address it to Dave_MC.

like "Best metal pickup, Dave_MC?"
if youre worried about cleans about about the 89? Its like a splittable 85 or something isnt it?

Personally, I dont mind the cleans on EMG 81s if you set them properly... they can sound pretty good.

edit:

lol kurt, yeah, its like dave's batsign or something, a giant spotlight with teh outline of BKP or ENGL
I honestly don't think that HZ's are as bad as people make them out to be, despite the fact I've never heard/used them myself. It's just that Alexi Laiho uses them, and I think he's got a sick tone, he uses Lee Jackson amps and **** like that. Do you think he would compromise one of the most important parts of his tone?

But if you can't find anything desirable with them..

I think Invaders are worth a shot. I like them more than my 81's. Lotta mids.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Alexi has a pretty ghey tone. Its incredibly dry/stale and annoyingly gay.

Its almost all in his preamp/poweramp choice. Its not a "jackson" its a Lee Jackson preamp, and now VHT Poweramps I believe.

Its not a compromise, its what the artist wants. If he wants HZs, he will use HZ. Thats his choice. Just saying "They can't be bad because Laiho uses them" doesn't make them good. look at how many great guitarists DONT use HZs. Thats like a million to half (because he is hardly great)
I want to say EMG's but the Jackson bolt on neck and alder body is kinda ifffy...
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
yeah why does the type of wood affect the tone? I dont think it would be THAT big of a differance, would it?
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Quote by Metal_696
yeah why does the type of wood affect the tone? I dont think it would be THAT big of a differance, would it?

it does.

Basically a heavier wood will give you a thicker, fuller sound. lighter wood gives you a thinner, twangy sound.
also alder is a brigth wood.
Ahh, I see...yeah that makes sence. Idk maybe I should just save up and get an ESP...
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
^with some duncans , dimarzios or bill lawerence you could still get a metal tone. With your amp i dont think there will be much of a problem
Quote by Metal_696
Ahh, I see...yeah that makes sence. Idk maybe I should just save up and get an ESP...

whats wrong with an LTD?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
whats wrong with an LTD?

There isnt. I actually plan on maybe gettin a ESP LTD MH-250.
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
^yeah...the agathis body on that didn't thrill me too much.
Ill just back up all the EMG answers, I dont know the specifics but I have heard them play
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
i was messing around after reading adam from KillSwitch puts EMG 60s in his bridge i tried it out on my M300 and it sounds amazing for metal really thick and heavy but still clear
emg 81 in the bridge, and 60 in the neck. or a duncan jb
ma gear

"it's too hard man, don't even try"
-jason becker

"get those flabby fingers in shape"
-rusty cooley