I've played acoustic for nearly a year now, and I got a Squier Strat pack last January, but I'm already thinking its time to move up from that. I definately like the strat sound, but I hate the twangyness from the bridge pickup, and I hardly use that pickup at all. I like to play with a mellower sound(think the intro solo to Pink Floyd's Echoes).

I've been looking around, and I'm pretty much set on a Crate FXT120 amp, but I need help with the guitar. Because of what I like I was thinking an HSS strat copy with the humbucker at the bridge. I'm looking at around $400-500(US) for the guitar(I need to get a lot of that still ). If you could recomend a couple instruments, or give me some good info, that woul be helpful.

Basically, I plan on playing with a lot of instruments at the store, but I want to have a pretty good idea of what I want when I drive for 30 minutes to the nearest guitar center.

Thanks in advance.
Vox amp
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
I would really reconisder the amp I have a crate XT65R which is a sounds a lot like the FXT120 I played mine at guitar center and i thought it was amazing because I could get some decent tones out of the amp so easily I play mostly metal and the distortion works really well but there is little need for the rhythm channel as it offers such little difference than the solo channel just with less control but the cleans and lower distortions tones suck really bad they all sound the same
But it's up to you I'd just try a lot of other amps out first
Quote by snipelfritz

Basically, I plan on playing with a lot of instruments at the store, but I want to have a pretty good idea of what I want when I drive for 30 minutes to the nearest guitar center.

At least you have a Guitar Center that close. I gotta drive like 80-90 miles to the closest one to me.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
I would really reconisder the amp I have a crate XT65R which is a sounds a lot like the FXT120 I played mine at guitar center and i thought it was amazing because I could get some decent tones out of the amp so easily I play mostly metal and the distortion works really well but there is little need for the rhythm channel as it offers such little difference than the solo channel just with less control but the cleans and lower distortions tones suck really bad they all sound the same
But it's up to you I'd just try a lot of other amps out first

Excellent point. totally agree right there, started out as a newbie and thought my crate combo was awesome for metal and all the distortion that i needed, however i noticed later that it really isn't that great, the rhythm channel really isn't that great. You could probably get something much better.