ok, this is my first build of any instrument, but as far as building, and woodworking, i'm fairly experinced, and i have a workshop with every tool at my disposal.

what i've decided to build is a randy rhoads V bass, i've never seen one, and love the shape of them but i play bass, so i've decided to build my own.

for parts i've chosen gotoh tuners (black) and a schaller roller bridge (black) with two emg select humbuckers. all from stewmac.com , i would have invested more in pickups, but money ran short, and i also bought a carvin BN4 bass neck with un-cut head stock. all minor parts such as pots, knobs, finishes, and such will be bought local.

i'll be purchasing the black wood for the body sometime this week, and would like to know what kind i should choose, given the pick-up choice i've made, and for the genre i play (metal, rock, anything heavy, but i'm still open minded to playng anything)

and i'll have drawings and shecmatics up soon, along with pictures when all my parts arrive.

also, i've chosen 100% black for all parts the neck and the body, i want it to have a nice gloss to it, but i'm sick and tired of colored instuments, i just want a simple black one.

and one more idea i have, is i'm going to have the back-plate of the neck engraved.
hell is only a word. reality is much, much worse...
sounds cool keep us posted
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
i just spent about an hour on paint, doing this, i suck at paint, but thats the rough idea. any input would be apreciated.

there i changed it to a .GIF and its larger now. lost some color though.
Last edited by PatriotVirus at May 23, 2006,
Quote by kaplac
Um, there's no picture, can you re-upload it?

i can see it just fine.
i'd slap in a 3 band active EQ for all your metal bass tone needs.

i'd also do one emg, one p-bass pup, so you can have the metal sound, and the steve harris bass sound, cuz altho emg's are said to be great, i dont think they have as much punch as a p-bass pup would

i'd suggest a SD 1/4lb.
Quote by mangablade

i'd also do one emg, one p-bass pup, so you can have the metal sound, and the steve harris bass sound, cuz altho emg's are said to be great, i dont think they have as much punch as a p-bass pup would

i'd suggest a SD 1/4lb.

money is short for the 3 band EQ, but that doesnt mean i cant alway add one in at a later date, and i personally hate p-bass pickups. i prefer the jass one on my ibanez, or even more my washburn five string with dual humbuckers, and that does have an active EQ.

(holy **** idea, why not take the EQ out of my 5 sting bass, and make that a passive, and put the active EQ in my custom, could this be done?)
first off, you have an SR505? (jw, u said ibanez 5 string, and theres like 8 Sr505 owners on UG, me being one of them )

and yeah i think it would work, you'd just have holes left over in ur 5 string
my ibanez is a gsr200 unfortunaly, and i could just replace the pots in my washburn with normal 500k ones. i'd never do anything like that to a sr505
update: my pickups, bridge, and tuners came in today, i'm just waiting on the neck, and still have to finalize what kinda wood to use. and i'm going to take the active EQ out of my washburn and put it in the RR-B, it might make my five string a whole lot weaker, but since i traded it for a squier p-bass i bought for 70$ and a pedal that was given to me, i could still sell it for 250 and come out a head.

i'll have pics of what i ordered up by tonight, plus the emg i bought for my freind as a gift, in his guitar. well emg select, but its still better than a normal BC rich pup.
alright, i'm been a bit of a bum about this build for the past week, but my neck finally came it, i'm very surprised at how well made carvin products are. i'll have pics real soon of everything, and diagrams and such, but what it really all comes down to is....

its 4:49 in the morning, i'm cooked on lsd, and if i dont kick this girl thats living with me out, i'll never get this build off the ground.

expect more to come, this things are gunna pick up from here.
pickup wise try EMGs, I really love the way they sound. I have a P-bass split coil in the mid and a j-bass near the bridge, fantastic.

Another thing I liked was having an EMG guitar expander in there. An EQ would be cool, but IMO the expander makes my guitar shine. it really adds alot of punch and clarity to my tone.

EDIT, I see I was too late... lol
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 7, 2006,
Quote by mangablade

i'd suggest a SD 1/4lb.

ive got the emg soapbars in my spector and i get plenty of punch out of em

for body wood, its really up to you, it just depends on what your budget is and what tonal properties the wood has, just stay away from agathis and alder
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
lol i have an older gsr200 i deactivated the tone control now it sounds great lol
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
mahogony wood for your body, mahogony is used in most metal guitars and classic rock guitars,

or if ur a fan of basswood, most ppl say they dont llike it but it is also common in metal guitars
Last edited by Schecter-06 at Jun 7, 2006,
well i should be getting the blank of mahogony very soon, this is all looking very good right now.
Sounds cool. In my uncle's old band (Blue Angel, yea, the one with Cindi Lauper), the bassist had a Fender V, and it looked kickass. Your RR V should look pretty damn awesome. Are you going to contour the edges?
Do you mean a flying V, or a 5-string?

EDIT: like this?
Last edited by Will_Minus at Jun 7, 2006,
Quote by Ironflippy
Are you going to contour the edges?

i plan to, i want to give it a bit more of an edge.