Hey just wondering if it's normal for a brand new guitar to have a small defect in the finish or paint job.
On relatively cheap guitars, yes.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
well new not equal to defect... no
I'm not funny, nor smart enough to have a funny or smart sig...
I was about 10 seconds away from buying a new mandolin, but as I was reaching into my pocket to pull out that credit card, I noticed a minor defect in the finish..... and that made me hesitate just long enough to realize that I did not need to be spending $400 on an instrument I barely know how to play.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Yeah, it definitly sucks to be playing a nice guitar, and suddenly you notice paint running onto the body binding and the sides of the headstock. I'm looking at you, ESP!
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
IF it has a minor defect, AND it's the instrument you want, you should get a discount. I don't care if it's the factory's fault or the store's fault., nobody wants dings in a brand new guitar(especially if you really want it)
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Then you cant do anything coz its purchased, unless the store is kind enough to give you a refund. Its not actually a scratch or anything aint it? Usually the store clerk wont give you a head's up on a non-obvious flaw, you have to see it for yourself and if you want another same model or discount you should ask them.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Hmph, then i think its your own fault that you dont really look close. You have to be really picky about choosing your guitar, coz that's what you'll end up looking everyday, make sure you're happy with it... Do you think its bad or just normal? if you think its bad, then try to get a refund or something.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
People sure are anal!

If the guitar sounds and plays great, I sure don't care about minor cosmetic
flaws. I assume my guitars will get minor scratches and dings through playing
anyway. Do you want peace of mind or constant worry about a scratch?

Also, handmade guitars will tend to have minor flaws here and there. Just adds
to the charm IMO.
^ right on!! Who cares how the guitar looks as long as YOU like it!! My Firebird has a small scratch on the headstock, it was there when I bought it, I didn't care (it was already discounted form $1675 anyway). Cosmetics is the dumbest ting to care about. I didn't care what colour guitar, or the look of the guitar, I bought, as long as it was priced right. My Firebird was $450 off, the Les Paul I tried out (Epiphone Elitist Standard Plus) was $500 off (because of several cracks in the finish). I didn't care. They both played great (the Firebird had more punch so I bought it). Cosmetics should be the last thing on anyones mind, especially since you can get virtually any colour shipped in direct from the factory anyway, and it will (99 times out of 100) be without defect!! So buy something you love the sound of, not the look (but if you do find cosmetic abnormalities, try to drive the price down anyway).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix