Page 1 of 2
So i was just wondering, when you guys practice, do you stand or sit?

i sit
"If my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair."
-Led Zeppelin

Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
stand, if you practice too much sitting down, and your in a band that gigs... your screwed when it comes to moving about on stage lol,
If you play when sitting all the time though, you cant play nearly as well when you stand up. Whereas if you can play well whilst standing you can play that well sitting down.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
i sit most of the time, but i try to stand when i remember that i'll be playing on stage in a couple months. I got a wah wah pedal for my b-day this year, so thats a good reason to stand up while i'm playing/practicing.
80% sitting... 20% standing.. I'm a decent player, but I'm nowhere near as good standing up.. I just put it down to having short fingers.
sit mostly, when I'm trying to learn long solos I need to be right in front of the tabs to read them while I'm playing, but when I do stand I am slowly lowering the strap so that I can get down to a jimmy page height
I can do both the same, but when practicing, I almost always sit.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Usually sitting, but when no-one is around, I stand up and walk around, because if i stand around and play, my parents will ask 'Rock star..?'
And poke fun at me

I sit. On occasions I stand.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
stand, its easier to use my wah pedal then
Been away, am back
Does anyone else's guitar sound completely different when being played sitting down compared to standing up?
you'll be in a different position to the amp when you sit

i like to play standing up. because i like to headbang and rock out.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Mostly standing up.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
i basically always play sitting because im lazy, when i stand i can reach the higher frets better...but i just deal with it when im sitting down.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

I stand most of the time. As previously mentioned, it is easier to operate pedals; and I don't want to be screwed if I am playing gigs/anything in front of large audiences. But if I am just screwing around with my friends, I will sit down.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I usually sit, but more recently I've been standing up a lot more.. it's kind of hard making the switch but I know I gotta do it sooner or later.
i sit almost all the time... standing i can only play green day
50/50. I used to sit like, 95% of the time, only to find myself pretty much unable to play standing . I'm comfortable with both now.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Sit practicing.

If I ever join a band or have to do a gig or something I'm not going to f**king sit, so I should probably practice more standin.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
depends how big my headache is...
Ug's Stupidest Member of the Year - 2005
standing all the way, I just let my Guitar Pro 5 run, mute my part of the song all play along, I like it significantly more then sitting, as logz said, easier to reach my wah and of course, look cooler playing solos, it's more likely that if u play standing up and learn that way, you can play anything sitting down (dont flame me for that, I dont mean buckethead type stuff or laiho just simpler solos and such like metallica).
Originally Posted by Teleprompters
people taking dumps in my guitar case
I find there is more freedom of movement when standing. Electric guitar lends itself well to playing standing up. If you adjust the strap according to your comfort and you feel confident with your guitar, you can really let loose.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Eventually the difference becomes minimal once you get very comfortable. I'd practise standing. More fun and when you sit you'll be even more comfortable. And doing a high gain powerful blues solo, you cant not do it standing up.
When I'm learning a new lick, or some sheet music, I'll sit until I get it down... and then I'll stand.

I stand for improvising though.
i sit when im learning something, but when im just playing i stand
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipcream" - Frank Zappa
no poll?

I stand most of the time. better for performing.

But some songs you need to sit down. like acoustic songs eg classical gas.
But I tend to slouch right over my guitar if I sit.
If i stand, i play the easier, usually rhythm parts playing normally, and put my foot up on a chair and my guitar on my knee for a harder section, like a solo or something.
I do mostly sitting but I stand up often just to make sure I'm still playing to my best capabilities standing up, especially if you are in a band you don't want to practive guitar sitting all the time. So always do both.
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
For me, usually 75% standing 25% sitting. I prefer to stand because if I can play it standing up I can play it just as well sitting. But, if I just play something sitting down, I can't play it as well standing.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I've seen videos of Metallica playing live. Jimmy H. plays his guitar crazy low - an obviously, his results speak for themselves. I hate playing my guitar that low. I have to have it nearly at my chest to play anywhere near my normal ability.

I haven't played much standing up, so I know I can get used to it. What I worry about is the health of my wrist. If I bring it down to about stomach level, I really have to crank my wrist toward my shoulder to get enough arch in my fingers to play correctly. I've heard this is bad to do, but I'm not so sure. The discomfort reminds me of what playing an open C major chord used to feel like when I first started playing. Now, it's easier than tying my shoes, but at that time it was one notch below real pain.

It's a blow to my pride to acknowledge this, but I don't want to continue to play with my guitar as high as I (currently) need it. I want to work it down lower simply because that is what's in style at the moment. I think if I just work on the flexibilty of the various tissues in my wrist and fingers slowly, then I can make it happen. It happened with my chords, so this might work too.

Kind of like how for most people, trying to jump out of their computer chair and do the splits would result in serious injury. With training, you could do that all day.
Page 1 of 2