Ok I am going to start hitting the music stores next week (which is actually a bit of an effort because I have to travel like an hour into town to find decent ones) and I am making sure I have covered all my options.

I am a bedroom guitarist atm but I would like an amp with a decent amount of power for if I feel like gigging again in the future. What this means is that it needs to be decent at low levels (which is why I am considering going ss, hybrid or modelling, but only if they sound good of course) and be capable of being played without getting me evicted from my house (a stack is therefore out of the question :no. As far as tone goes I am looking for a modern rock/metal sound, Billy Howerdel's tone from A Perfect Circle would be my ultimate goal, but I'm not expecting miracles here as I am on a budget (approx $1250 AUD).

Anyways here is a list of amps I am going to try out. Please let me know of any horror stories, recommendations or any other models that fit my requirements that. Thanks.

Randall RG50TC (Tube)
Randall RG100SC (Solid State)
Line 6 Flextone III Plus (on paper it seems perfect but I have heard some not so great things about it)
Roland Cube 60 (Might be a good cheap option)
Hughes and Kettner Attax (ss, apparently has fantastic cleans)
Hughes and kettner Edition Blue 20w Tube
Marshall DSL 401
Marshall TSL 601 (I tried an older model and didnt really like it at lower levels, but apparently the newer models can be switched down to 20w to allow the tubes to cook more)
Laney Tube Fusion 300 (125w model)
Laney LC-30
Peavey Valveking 50w (the xxx would be perfect but they are ridiculously expensive in Aus. and really hard to find)
Hmmm, it's a hard one - i've never tried any of teh amps you listed, but from what people have said, anything randall can get you into metal territory...And maybe you can save up for an attenuator for a tube amp - that way you have the best of both...(probably what i'm going to do )
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
I was thinking of getting an attenuator but that would really throw my budget out the window, a THD hotplate is about 600 bucks over here I think. I am also in desperate need of a new guitar as the tuners on my strat copy are starting to really piss me off (no matter what I do the g-string never stays in tune). Looks likes it going to be all about compromise...i may even go used with the amp so I can afford a new guitar.
The Roland Cube 60 is nice. Its a cheapish and good solid state amp. My friend whos the bass player in my band, his dad is famous actually, well his dad has a Line 6 Flextone III. My other friend who is the other guitarist in my bandwho is one of the best guitar players at our age that I have every heard, tried the Flextone III and said that it sounded amazing. Hughes and Kettners supposebly make really nice tube amps. I have their solid state Edition Blue 30R and it was a pretty nice beginnerish or 2nd amp. The tube one is probably really nice though. In my opinion when I tried a Laney tube amp compared to the Roland Cube 60, I liked the Cube 60 soooo much more. Also the Marshall DSL and TSL models are freaking amazing, well to me. Hope you have fun with them.
Quote by DBS_KICKS_ASS
wy dont u just buy new tuners for the guitar, instead of a whole guitar.

Im due for a new guitar as well, I've already changed the electronics the strat copy if I go the tuners too I would have spent more on it than its worth. I'd rather just go for a better guitar.
Quote by DBS_KICKS_ASS
wy dont u just buy new tuners for the guitar, instead of a whole guitar.

dude, where are you?

Randall RG50TC or the Laney Tube Fusion 300 would be your best bet IMO
You're gonna have to save up dude...
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin