hey guys, currently im just practising scales for at least 30 min a day to get faster. im in no hurry, so i can take my time with the practice. but do i seriously need a metronome?? and do i start slower than i can and gradualy move up or start as fast as i can??
use a metronome. when i first started 2 years ago i never used one, as a result i have the musical rhythm of falling bird sh*t

start slowly
Yeah use a metronome, i only started using one recently and i can already see my timing getting better and some of my licks are getting faster and more accurate.
^^30 mins a day is enough, but you could do more.

It isn't necessarily about quantity of time but it doesn't hurt to do more than that.

Just make sure you practice effectively, by this I mean warm up, focus on what your practising with your metrenome and then cool down..kinda like doing a work out but for guitar instead.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
dont limit yourself to practicing scales either

give exercises a go
exercises?? i do scales up and down the board for 30 min. then move on to chord progressions for bout another 30 min, and another 30 min all to learning songs. is that exercise??
I really don't think people have a very good concept of what practicing scales
is all about. It has many levels and they never end.

It looks to me like what people consider "practicing scales" is going straight up
and down the scale in all the positions (either the 5 CAGED or 7 3-note-per-string
positions). They think that's it. Done. I've mastered the scale.

I can assure you, that's just the START. What that gets you is a
very basic knowledge of where the notes are on the fretboard and some very
basic finger practice of the scale.

Once you get the basics, you really should be exploring new territory in scale
traversal: in intervals, braids, patterns, arpeggios, .... For each new way you
practice traversing, you start seeing the scale in new ways and making all kinds
of different connections. These in turn give you lots more ideas when you solo
and your fingers will have the know-how to make the movements.

I often see the question: "How come when I try and use a scale in a solo it sounds
like I'm just playing a scale?" Well, if all you practice is straight up & down,
what do you expect?