This is the outro to the opener of a solo project CD i've been working so hard on. There's a harmony bit that comes in and I'm frustrated because it sounds... odd. On headphones it sounds okayish, on flatscreen speakers absolutely awful, subwoofers okay, and car stereo unnoticeable.

The bit is at 00:21, I just gave backing to make way for it. Feel free to critique the production if you like, anything you can think of but particuarly that 00:21 riff, what is wrong with it and why it sounds normal just seconds afterwards?! [it also sounds perfect, in my opinion, when the mp3 is played backwards - weird yes but a harmony should work reversed too]

Crit me and I'll crit you back.

Paperweightoutro.mp3 [746kb]

It's only available on the server for a week starting today, but this should be plenty of time.

Hey dude, i think the guitar melody is really nice, great harmony.
But i think the crash cymbals are too loud.
Thats how i hear it on my speakers.
The first seconds that have ride cymbal sound nice.
Well , can i ask you what did you use for drums ? Is there a program ?
i dont like midi drums

crit mine, metal song , with 2 guitars, bass, and midi drums
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5645489
Yea, the crash symbals are way too loud. That bit at 00:21 sounds odd, but I don't find it disturbing or anything. It's just interesting...and you should leave it like that in my opinion.
you guys really think so? They sounded okay to me, but I guess I'll see about adjusting that. ahhh 00:21 sucks, even when it's sped up slightly it sounds perfect, just not when normal ah well thakns your crit
Quote by Lord Jesus
Maybe you should try harmonizing with different intervals? Also, the crash cymbols are too loud unless they are meant to distort the sound.

The riffs themselves harmonise perfectly - when soloed together theyre fine but in the actual mix they sound funny, I really dont know what it is though!!
any more? please? I just need to know if that 00:21 bit sounds out of tune to you or what...
hey man i love the melody on that song it is very moving. im not good a crit music yet. but that my thoughts better than i have ever done.
2005 artcore
2004 epiphone les paul transparent blue
2005 agile dc 2500 trans black
washburn x-21
crate gtx 212 120 watt
behringer 2442 mixer
behringer ep2500 2400 watt poweramp
2 peavey dual 15 inch main speakers
Line6 PODXT Live
Quote by BPG
The riffs themselves harmonise perfectly - when soloed together theyre fine but in the actual mix they sound funny, I really dont know what it is though!!

erm.. my opinion is because when recording, the tempo slip a bit.. or u should try it with different intervals.. that will be a blast if it worked.. work on the guitar tone..

the riff sounded very thin.. try boasting up the riff..

apart from that.. nice idea!!

crit me?

http://freqzz.dmusic.com/
Quote by PooKoo
no worries, if you ever put it in a full song lemme know, i think it would work really well, in any kind of situation, it gives off a bunch of different vibes, just need to expand on it.

thanks for the crit, too.

Thanks, it's in a full song, the clip I uploaded is at the end of a 3:12 song. Just vocals to record and bits to tweak and it's done.

Quote by fReqZz
erm.. my opinion is because when recording, the tempo slip a bit.. or u should try it with different intervals.. that will be a blast if it worked.. work on the guitar tone..

the riff sounded very thin.. try boasting up the riff..

apart from that.. nice idea!!

crit me?

http://freqzz.dmusic.com/

It's as good as I can get really... I wrote the song coming up to a year ago, its just taken too long to record it. The harmony i.e the notes/intervals are fine, I dont want to change it as I wrote it like that (so yes I probably did experiment with intervals last year) and thats how I want it... just didnt seem to come out as perfectly as I conceived.

As for the riff sounding thin... I dont know if you're talking about volume/EQ or the actual guitar recording itself? What you're hearing is slightly rough, not the final CD's actual sound... the levels etc differ so much throughout from song to song. so levels you heard were only rough. (if this is what you meant - I would like guitars a little louder).

I'll crit you when I have a bit more time on my hands, in a few hours.

cheers guys.
Last edited by BPG at May 25, 2006,
about the thin guitar sound.. as for recording it.. try to record the riff in two layer.. one pan slightly to the right and one slightly to the left.. it will sound nice..
Quote by fReqZz
about the thin guitar sound.. as for recording it.. try to record the riff in two layer.. one pan slightly to the right and one slightly to the left.. it will sound nice..

ahhh yes I understand what you mean . Which part are you talking about in the clip though; where is the 'thin' riff?
ah you mean the guitar that's in the centre? (the mp3 has a left lead, centre rhythm/chords, and a right lead.) you think it isnt loud enough?

Which mp3 of yours would like me to crit and where is the thread to do so?

Quote by fReqZz
work on your tone..

btw, which guitar? Does it sound 'sharp' and 'spiky' to you? this is a problem I'm working with but I thought I had got around it...?
ah, totally agreeing with you. the centre distortion sounds like ass

All of the distortion is modelled and I used a lot of plugins to get my sound. please remember I have done this 100% by myself in my bedroom on an extreme budget with pretty shoddy equipment

I'll take a listen of your song now.
it;s ok... those pugins are lame.. better to use ur amp and connect it to ur sound card.. that will be much better!
Quote by fReqZz
it;s ok... those pugins are lame.. better to use ur amp and connect it to ur sound card.. that will be much better!

I tried it and it was fuzzy.. the distortion that you heard was by FAR the best result, do you think its really THAT bad? I like it.

Sorry, I had to dash out before. Gonna crit your song right now.
Last edited by BPG at May 25, 2006,
yeh its cool, initially i thougth the recording quality was good then about 7 secs into it started crackling. What ur playin i think is good just the recording doesnt really do it justice. what program did you use for the drums or are they real? they sound good any way. hmm the only reason i can think as to why the harmonys would sound out on the recording maybe the strings arent pefrectly in tune together just a guess.

any way good job

crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364923 thanks in advance