Ever since I started playing guitar 2 and a bit years ago I havent practiced a pentatonic scale for more than two seconds. I find them the worst scales to jam with and I prefer using the majors, minors, melodic minors and harmonic minors to jam with.

My guitar teacher wants me to learn the pentatonics as they are essential scales. I dont think they are essential I think its a waste of time adding notes to a scale when I can just learn a mode with the notes in them.

Am I closing myself off as a guitarist for being so anal about not using (or practicing) pentatonics, or does it not really matter so long as I know I like and what sounds good?
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
pentatonic scales = the good sounding notes of the full scales. its a good thing to know.
pentatonic is THE thing you need, some guitar players got big and reknown and they were almost only playing some pentatonic stuff solos so ...
Well, you can never know too much.

Most solos in rock and metal are basically just pentatonic wanking, and it won't do you any harm to learn them. That said though, I've always found it's more fun and interesting to solo in the full major/minor scales because there's more notes to mess around with.

But that said, sometimes simplicity is good. Chances are, even with the full scales you're actually just soloing pentatonics, you just haven't noticed it as such.

So yeah, you should probably learn them, but you shouldn't feel you have to use them.
Nothing is necessary or required.

But, by not learning what, where, how and why pentatonics are used, you will
probably be a lesser player for it.

It's kind of a defeating attitude to say you don't want to learn something. I plan
on learning everything eventually It's just a matter of priority.

Since you are under the direction of a teacher and he wants you to learn it now,
you should put your trust in him or find another treacher.
although finding another teacher because he wanted you to learn pentatonics would be mindblowingly stupid
Just learn them! They are the basics for what are the greatest solos, songs, tunes. And they're great if you're suddenly unsure about whether to use Aeolian, Dorian or Phrygian over minor chords. Or if I would say to you, play over F7#9/C. You'd probably stop looking, instead, you'd be staring in confusion. You can play an F half whole scale over it (which is terribly hard to use properly) or just play Fminor pentatonic.

Basically, they are limiting, but a great thing to 'rely' on as something to safe you. If I were you, I'd learn the pentatonics as the first scale! Ask your teacher about ALL possible times to play them though. Most teachers just say 'play minor pentatonic over minor chords' but, as I stated before, you can play them almost everywhere.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by scheck006
although finding another teacher because he wanted you to learn pentatonics would be mindblowingly stupid

Yea I totally agree with that... Quit a teacher because he wants you to learn! Yea.. only a know it all moron would do that

(of which I am one)

Quote by edg
But, by not learning what, where, how and why pentatonics are used, you will
probably be a lesser player for it.

Hmm I see your point.

Quote by SomeEvilDude
Well, you can never know too much.

Most solos in rock and metal are basically just pentatonic wanking, and it won't do you any harm to learn them. That said though, I've always found it's more fun and interesting to solo in the full major/minor scales because there's more notes to mess around with.

But that said, sometimes simplicity is good. Chances are, even with the full scales you're actually just soloing pentatonics, you just haven't noticed it as such.

So yeah, you should probably learn them, but you shouldn't feel you have to use them.

Ok my mind is made up I ll just to learn them as religiously and practice them as religiously as I do every other scale lol.

Thanks for the input guys.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
learn pentatonics.....loads of rock and blues with those.....but dont fall into the trap of only using them like i did....

but you probably wont bc u have already learned other scales and modes which is good
there's a lot more you can do with pentatonics than just omitting notes from the full scales. you can create some completely different sounds by playing them on the 4th and 5th notes of the scale.