lots of bassists like jazz,what bands are jazz,do they have good bassiests?
Jazz is a genre where, I find, a bassist can "shine" to his full potential. It requires the bass to fill the bridge between rythm and the chords.

There are many, many styles of jazz. And new styles are always popping up. I'll list 'the best' in my opinion in a couple categories.

Big Band Swing: The form of jazz that made it mainstream in its time. Very Dance-able music.
-Benny Goodman
-Glenn Miller
-Duke Ellington

Combo Swing: The same style of music, just with less musicians.
-Louis Armstrong

Bebop: Very sparadic, using uncommon intervals (flat 5th). Very fast pace and energetic. Not easy listening, and not to be danced to.
-Charlie Parker
-Dizzy Gillespi
-Thelonious Monk
-Miles Davis

Cool Jazz: A rebellion against Bebop. Ment for easy listening, with an influence on longer notes.
-Miles Davis

Smooth Jazz: A very pop orientated jazz style. Easy listening. (Some Jazz purists don't consider it Jazz at all.)
-George Benson
-Chuck Mangione

Fusion: Relativitly new, very complicated music with little repitition. It's a blending of rock and Jazz (Also reffered to as Punk Jazz).
-Weather Report
-Jaco Pastorius (solo)

Acid Jazz: A mix of techno and jazz, drawn from the band that created it Acid House.
-Acid House
-Jamiroquai

Vocal Jazz: Combo style jazz, with an influence on the vocalist
-Diana Krall
-Nat King Cole
-Norah Jones
-Ella Fitzgerald

These are just a small number of jazz musicians, and styles. There are tons of people out there playing jazz, I just listed the versions I am most familiar with. Also there is a new style emerging out of small artists, that I'm calling Rock Jazz because there isn't a real name for it yet. Check out bands like Cambiata (www.cambiata.net, www.myspace.com/cambiata), Cosades (www.myspace.com/cosades), or my band.

*Edit - I realized that I made a mistake of combining Cool and Smooth Jazz into one category, when they are defenitly not. Also added a few artists.
Last edited by elemenohpee at May 22, 2006,
he just did..

theres a lottt of jazz out there, start yourself off on some of that ^ and see how u like it =)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Quote by somewhat_here

i wish i was fat so i can buy xxl clothes during liquidation
Quote by tom-nofx
can you name a few bands for each genre

lol yeah hes basically just given you the definitive jazz list!

jazz is a HUGE genre, just like rock is a huge genre. its an easy question to answer when u ask 'wot bands are jazz', theres literally hundreds.

i would add 'the dave brubeck quartet' to that list, they're complete legends.

some of them have amazing bassists, but a lot of these old jazz stuff, the bass had a quieter sound, was more at the back of things, mainly to back up the drums really. the bassist was still important tho. weather report had a good bassist
i need to get a better signature.
Last edited by MATTTHEMOP at May 22, 2006,
Quote by Bumper
Bebop is my favorite. Charlie Parker owns everyones face.

i have yet to get into charlie parker
i have a book of his solos and ive tried playing them on my sax and to me it all seems like shredding. example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Wzcc7Dmicw&search=charlie%20parker

the big band stuff, like glenn miller and benny goodman have some awesome jazz riffs and harmonies. it was such a gr8 time to be a musician.
i need to get a better signature.
Last edited by MATTTHEMOP at May 22, 2006,
I like Mr. Parker and the rest of the bebop crowd because of the elitist attitude. Only the best players could play bebop, and it took a great musician to keep up with then improvised changes. I think Charlie Parker is my biggest inspiration in songwriting. I find it's extremely easy to link bebop stuff to the modern hardcore movements.
Jaco Pastorius and Weather Report kick some serious ass.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Check out the Esbjorn Svennson Trio. They usually just shorten it to EST and tour just under the name EST. Melodic jazz with fusion elements but very different from a lot of fusion. Hard to categorise except for maybe experimental melodic jazz.
Quote by Bumper
Bebop is my favorite. Charlie Parker owns everyones face.

Offtopic: If you like Bebop and rock, check out Mr. Bungle's California album. Quite funny.

Ontopic: Some consider Charles Mingus the greatest jazz bass player ever. Definatly check him out. My favorite is Jaco Pastorious though. Truly an inspiration.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Jaco is who really got the electric players playing proper jazz and bebop solos. Definately one of my all time favourite players.
Quote by katana_manatee
Jaco is who really got the electric players playing proper jazz and bebop solos. Definately one of my all time favourite players.

While I agree that Jaco Pastorious was very talented, I'm not a huge fan of his basslines, they are all very over played, and could be stripped down.

But then again I'm not a huge fan of the fusion movement. Swing, Bebop, Cool Jazz is where it's at for me.