Yeah, as the title of this thread says, I'm a total n00b when it comes to amps but I need a new one. Our drummer plays like Dave ****ing Grohl so my little 25 watt is almost being drowned out which makes me sad T_T

Anyway I've been browsing the review section and I've found a selection of amps (combined with my own research into them) can you advise me on which is teh best to get please ^_^

Okaysh, the amps we have are:

Peavey TNT 115
Peavey Combo 115
Marshall B150
Ashdown Electric Blue 15-150
Fender Rumble 100
Fender Bassman 250/115

Don't worry about price in your advice, I've painstakingly saved up enough for even the most expensive of all of these.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
why dont you research on musicansfriend.com or music123. com and see what others say about their own personally bought products
I knew theer was something I'd forgotten to do. Thanks for jogging my memory ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

I have a Peavey TNT 130 it holds up good for me
President is Man
Josh is Man
JOSH IS PRESIDENT

When a famous boxer from the 20's was asked "What do you think about Shakespeare?", he replied, "I'll moida' da' bum!"
i really like this TS, he actually KNOWS that he need something of 100W+ish, and ,

wait for it:

HAS THE MONEY!

to many people start a thread like "hey i wanna gig, wahts the best amp i can get for 80 dollars"? and im sitting ther thinkin "jus about nothing, bud".

go out and try as many of the ones listed as you can, see which one can get you the best tone, and which one's the loudest, which has better features etc. and go try some 800 dollar combo's and stuff just to see what "better" sounds like, so you know what you're aiming for.
I've only heard good things about the Peavey TNT.

I have a small Ibanez 35W, and it holds up decently. I'd assume their higher end/watt amps would hold up just the same.
Yeah, and after a long long long long time researching I have also heard nothing but good things (we're not counting weight) about that TNT. I'll have ot try it as see how much they're selling for in the UK but it looks like I'll hopefully be obtaining on sometime soon.

And about 'having the money' I srt of set myself a limit of $700, three of the amps I mentioned went over it but that's okay because that aforementioned TNT blows them out of the water anyway. Will do more research and trying out though before I but anything. Thanks for the help guys ^_^

The only downside will be that it'll be another two years before I can afford my Stingray T_T Oh well, hopefully the self-build next year will go okay...
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Let me be the first then to say I don't like TNT's... The new band of my former drummer played last week and the bassist used a Peavey TNT. It was just horrible... I must admit that he had his EQ set up pretty akward, but I played it afterwards with the EQ set fairly decent and I still didn't like it.
I'm not too fond of Marshall either... Bad experiences with the guitar amps and so I don't really trust them for bass...

So out of your list it would be Ashdown or Fender Bassman. And you made a good choice going for 15" combos.

And like Mangablade suggested: go out and test a lot of amps, let your ears decide. Test above, in and under your price range to get a feel of what a good/bad amp is and to know for what to seek for in your amp.

And do try to check out Hartke combos. I used a Hartke VX1415 combo when I was in the UK for a week for an exchange project from school and I really liked it.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
I would recommend a Hartke kickback. They sound really good for the price and you can also DI them too for live playing. Alternatively look on ebay and see if you can pick up a second hand Trace Elliot 4x10 combo. They are just like molten sex.
The only 2 types of women that don't bitch and moan are gifs and jpgs.........
I'll look up that Kickback but funnily enough, musicgearreview.com had nothing on the TNT *Chuckles*.

Actually, I never thought of E-bay...good idea ^_^ Thanks everyone, you've all been a great help.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65