So I posted a topic about this on the Carvin boards and got some good feedback, but I need some "unbiased" feedback. So can someone tell me which cab is better constructed and has a better over-all tone, despite the fact that both have the same speakers?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Save your money and get the Carvin. Either the Legacy or MTS cabs are great.
Quote by Gutch220
If they have the same speakers and all, the two will sound pretty much the same.

quality of build, and how heavy the cab is plays a major part in the overall sound. a cheap feeling light cab wont project sound as well as a heavy duty well built cab. my behringer cabs are like 345734589804903458903483474 times louder then my friends Crate cab loaded with Celestions.
I'm not looking for volume so much as I am for good tone. On the Carvin boards, someone disected a 1960A and a Carvin cab and said that the 1960A's are badly built and not as durable as the Carvins. And I was also told that the Marshall is made with 5/8 ply birchwood and the Carvin is made with 3/4 ply, or something along those lines. I'd imagine since the Carvin is closed back, it'll have better bass response. Anyone care to cite the differences between the two cabs that will affect the tone between the two?

EDIT
I just found out there's a 10 pound weight difference between the two cabs, with the Marshall being 100 lbs and the Carvin being 90. How much will that affect the tone?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Last edited by Ambulance X at May 23, 2006,
Closed back cabinets will sound a little darker, deeper than open backed. What head will drive these? If you have a dark sounding head the Carvin may not be as good a match. A brighter head and it might be a perfect balance.

Also, what is your budget and what is the price difference between these two?
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Ambulance X
I'm not looking for volume so much as I am for good tone. On the Carvin boards, someone disected a 1960A and a Carvin cab and said that the 1960A's are badly built and not as durable as the Carvins. And I was also told that the Marshall is made with 5/8 ply birchwood and the Carvin is made with 3/4 ply, or something along those lines. I'd imagine since the Carvin is closed back, it'll have better bass response. Anyone care to cite the differences between the two cabs that will affect the tone between the two?

EDIT
I just found out there's a 10 pound weight difference between the two cabs, with the Marshall being 100 lbs and the Carvin being 90. How much will that affect the tone?

I have no bias towars either, since I like both companies, but your homework shows something interesting. If the Marshall is thinner ply, yet still weighs more with the same speakers, that should tell you something about the quality of the woods they are using. Filler is lighter than actual wood.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
So since the Carvin is lighter and has thicker wood, does that mean it will have a better tone than the Marshall, which is built with thinner wood, but has filler in it?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Well, that's not really what I meant. Filler is lighter than real wood. If the Marshall is thinner plywood, but weighs more than the Carvin with the same speakers, I would assume the Marshall has less filler, and more real wood. That's just an assumption going by what you found though, I have no facts here other than filler is lighter. Are they also the same dimensions? I haven't heard a Carvin cab in person, but I have heard a couple 1960 cabinets, and I really liked how they sounded, at least with the amps I was using.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 24, 2006,
I think the Carvin cab is a little smaller than the 1960. The dimensions are 30W x 14.5D x 30H for the Carvin cab, and the metric measurements for the Marshall are 760W x 830D x 360H. I'm too lazy to do a metric conversion at the moment.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
So what exactly is the affect on the tone if a cab has filler?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
well, all ply is going to have filler, otherwise it would weigh a ton. Almost all the cabs I know of are made of a ply. The quality ones use real pieces of quality wood, like birch, poplar, etc., but it's still a ply. The cheaper ones use mostly particle board, with lots of glues and binding material. Think of the difference in how a guitar sounds, depending what material it's made of. The same principle applies to a speaker cabinet.
amp clips
amp vids
So which will sound better? The Marshall made with 5/8 Birchwood or the Carvin is 3/4 Plywood (I think?)
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
I can't say for sure man. That weight issue is really a non-issue I guess, since it's only 10lbs, and dimensions alone could account for it. I think like was mentioned by someone up top, you're going to have to either hear them with your specific amp, or talk to owners. They are both good companies, so I imagine both should be quality.

I've only heard the 1960av(V30's), but I thought it was bad ass. Very tight and clear, nice bass response without being overpowering. I haven't heard the Carvin cab in person.

Mascot did me a favor while back, and checked out the Carvin store for the 7 strings. While he was there, he told me he played through a Carvin amp, and he wasn't that impressed with the sound. That could be all related to the head though, I didn't ask specifically about the cab. Mascot is pretty much a tone freak, and he knows what he's talking about, so I trust his judgement. Even though I like Carvin, just going by what I know here, I would probably go for the 1960 cab. I think you're going to have to actually hear them with your amp to make a good decision though.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 24, 2006,
Bigger doesn't always mean better bass response.

Bigger = Bigger bass. Now, you might have the most ball-crushingly huge bass in existance.. but its going to be big, floppy, and sound like mush, know what I mean?

The key is to find balance. Personally I like traditional/regular sized cabs rather than oversized. More punch, more clarity. You'd be suprised how much you get out of a 4x12 at high volumes... Unless you've played through them for awhile at louder volumes.

Weight can be an issue, if its cheaper ply then meh, its not going to be as durable. Different sized ply make a difference, too.. Mostly you'll be fine as long as you don't have chip board or particle board. Plywood is the way to go.

The difference in "Sound" as long as you have legitimate woods, is mostly based on the difference in difference in dimensions and speakers.

The difference in durability is in the wood

Know what I mean?
you can't really go wrong with 1960's they are like the Strats for cabinets, they've been around forever, SO many people use them, and they are built well and sound good.