Okay, I'm taking yalls advice and learning the scales, but I am also learning how to memorize all the notes on the fretboard. But its hard for me to learn the scales marked with note names. So I am doing them with fret numbers, like tabs, instead of with note names. Once I memorize the fretboard I will learn the names of the notes. But for now is the way I am doing it okay?
By the way, is a Major Scale, the same thing as a Pentatonic scale, just with less notes?
Er, simply no.

What happens if you have to play in A instead of E? Then all of a sudden, you sound like ****. Learning the "shapes" will help more than fret numbers...

And if you at least learn the natural notes (no sharps or flats) then every other note is just a semitone away from a familiar note, meaning you can play pretty much anything.
Just don't get too caught up in your box patterns... Make sure you play the scales over the entire fretboard.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
learn you box shapes, then extend the box shapes yourself, learn octaves across the fretboard, that'll help alot. A good teacher should sort this, and make you learn this alot quicker.
try learning other peoples licks aswel so you know hot to apply the scales
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.