Hey all - I have a Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, and just recently there has been a strange string buzzing...

When i bought it (erm.. 7 odd months ago) it was fine - i changed strings about a month ago.. and while playing it there is a sudden string buzz at the D string (playing unplugged).

This only happens at the open D fret - i tried using the pencil thing (rubbing it in) but it didnt work... all this came really sudden - i didnt change strings or action or anything.

So... any ideas?

Edit: I need to add - this only happens badly when the guitar is tuned at D - when i tune it up or down - the buzz goes away...
Last edited by Biatch at May 22, 2006,
if i were u, i would start with a string change. they were on there a month and there's a good chance that the brand u have in there now doesnt fit the cuts of the nut very well.

maybe its rattling around in the cut because its too loose (thin string), or its sitting on top of the cut cause its too thick.

make sure u use the same gauge that came with the guitar. and change one string at a time.
probably 10's.

unless u can see that its rubbing a fret someplace, in that case u would just raise the action a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ah right thanks for ur help!

ill get 010's tomorrow and ill see what happens...
k lemme know
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

well i got new strings... but it still buzzes!

im changing string height stuff now - and it isnt working... any ideas?

what i noticed btw is that the buzzing is coming straight from the nut...
Last edited by Biatch at May 23, 2006,
when you bought new strings, did you get a different gauge?
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
it MIGHT be that your nut cracked, and the string height is all messed up cause of that.

Check for any obvious cracks/chips, and look into replacing it with a bone nut.

It'll do wonders for your tone.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
well i dont know about the nut being cracked.

is the noise coming fron the nut or something loose on the headstock?
is it becaue the string is vibrating in the nut, or because the cut is too low and its rubbing the first fret?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hey thanks u 2 for ur help!

well anyway the noise is comign straight from the nut... but initially i thought it was cut too low and was rubbing the first fret.

well i dont know how - but after messing about with the string height i eventually got the buzz to go!

btw is there any method to check if it is rubbing the first fret apart from looking?

The string i noticed is really close to the 1st fret but from looks only it doesnt look like it is...
There is, use a multimeter to measure for conductivity between the fret and the string. I was going to suggest intonation but it seems you've fixed your problem .