Well, I've been playing for over a year and it's about time I dumped the Pacifica 112 and got a better guitar because this thing is driving me crazy. I simply need a better guitar.
A bit about me: I like to play thrash metal (Metallica, Megadeth and Pantera mostly) and a bit of rock music as well (Guns N' Roses, AC DC) as well as some Jimmi Hendrix and Eric Clapton. However, I've started a band with my friends and we're going to be covering mainly Metallica and Megadeth. We have two very good lead guitarists which leaves me with rhythm. I enjoy playing rhythm but I also like to play solos as well, so a guitar suited for both is necessary. A whammy bar is preferable but not essential. I'm playing through a Roland Cube 60 as well. Let's say my budget for this guitar runs up to £500/$800 US.
Here are the guitars I've thought about so far:

Fender Standard Fat Strat
I've played a standard Fender Strat as well as a Standard one and I simply LOVED the feel of it. I was able to play this with ease and it felt really comfortable. I'm leaning towards fat strat because of the humbucker.

Epiphone Korina Flying V
I have very little knowledge about this and would lie to hear your opinions.

Ibanez
I've played an Ibanez SZ-320 and, like the Fender, enjoyed the feel of it alot. However, I have very little knowledge over the prestiges, the SZ and the SA and would also like your opinions.

I've also played an Epiphone Les Paul. I honestly did not like the feel of it at all and I found it very uncomfortable to play. It could be something I just need to get used to. I did, however, appreciate the warm tone given by the neck pickup.
Your opinions please...
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Ibanez SZ 520 or higher

OR

Ibanez RG 1570 or higher

*Ibanez fanboy*
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
I don't like to play Ibanez, but if you like the feel of it you can upgrade the pick ups and get a really good tone out of it.
My friend has an RG2550 and he adores it, he is one of the lead guitarists. Locking bridge means that it is a pain to change tuning, that's the only problem I have with the suggestion.
Can you explain why the Ibanez RG1570 is the right choice? I see a lot of posts suggesting that with no explenation other than they saw someone else re
commend it.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
^It's the cheapest Ibanez Prestige model- so it's got a great neck joint, thin neck, high-quality tremolo, and great build quality.
RG 1570. Then make a pickup change. A Jb and jazz fits the tone humbucker wise. I'd suggest something with good cleans for the single coil like a Lace Sensor silver.
Hmm, I'm liking the sound of an Ibanez. What seperates it from the SZ, SA and S series other than the fact it has a tremelo? And isn't it a pain if it's difficult to change tuning due to the locking trem?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
The SZ has a flame-topped mahogany body, 22 frets, set neck. The RG has a basswood body, 24 frets, tremolo, bolt on neck. Basically, the SZ is more like a LP while the RG is more like a strat.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
^ what invisible man said

By the way to me you sound like someone who should really get a heavy mahogany body guitar. Try Schecter? Esp eclipse if you can fork out some more cash? Unless u cant, the Rg 1570 is the way to go: http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8049/rg1570pro2bx.jpg My sexy theng'
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Nice. I've found arguments against all 3 guitars, though.

Flying V: Hard to play sitting down, not something concerning me. Could someone please explain to me whether this is a guitar worth buying or whether it's crap with just a good look.

Fat Strat: Only has 21 frets. I played one today and the fact it didn't have a 22nd fret annoyed the hell out of me (I played a Standard Strat, I don't know if Fat Strats have a 22nd fret or not)

Ibanez: Locking trem (which everyone he seems keen to ignore)
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Nice. I've found arguments against all 3 guitars, though.

Flying V: Hard to play sitting down, not something concerning me. Could someone please explain to me whether this is a guitar worth buying or whether it's crap with just a good look.

Fat Strat: Only has 21 frets. I played one today and the fact it didn't have a 22nd fret annoyed the hell out of me (I played a Standard Strat, I don't know if Fat Strats have a 22nd fret or not)

Ibanez: Locking trem (which everyone he seems keen to ignore)

While SOME people dont like locking trems, its mainly because they are either really illeterate at everything, lazy, or they have a crap liscensed one...

The RG1570, comes with the EDGE PRO FR, which IMO is better than any other one around. Its top notch quality. Ask anyone around UG.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator