Right, i would like to be able to record my music in my room. So firstly i thought just get a microphone, but then i realised although i'd mainly be recording acoustic songs i would like to use my electric as well. Also it would be really handy to be able to mix tracks myself i.e. record me playing something (like chords) and then record the lead riff over it for example.

Can any of you suggest any recording equipment that doesn't cos too much I'm a bit skint at the moment

Thanks in advance.
http://www.emu.com/ has some decent hardware to record with that also comes with all the software you'd need to get started. And if you go the value route you can upgrade everything later if you need to. Both the hardware and software.

From there you can just get yourself a shure sm57 or some other decent but affordable microphone and you'll be all set.
Ok, thanks. The only thing i'm worried about with a microphone is how electric recordings will work if i just play straight from my amp. I'm thinking it would turn out really muffled unless i bought a really expensive mic.
take a look at the Riffs and Recording threads on UG, I have posted very very very longed detailed answers on this that will tell u exactly wat u need
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by caz_guitar_dude
Ok, thanks. The only thing i'm worried about with a microphone is how electric recordings will work if i just play straight from my amp. I'm thinking it would turn out really muffled unless i bought a really expensive mic.

Well how cheap a mic are you talking about ? I have a cheap AKG mic that cost me $60 CAD and it works fine. The problem with it is that it picks up things it shouldn't like bakground noise etc. but it doesn't colour the tone much or sound muffled etc.
Guitar Port. Best $100 I ever spent.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Search button.

Guitar port sucks btw.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Guitar port sucks btw.

Whatever you say dude. I beg to differ.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor