can anybody help me out, iv got a crappy squier strat and have had it for about 3 years. me and a few mates have started a "real" punk band (not any of that emo ****e), largely inspired by the clash and ramones. i NEED a new guitar as my squier is, well, retired and i need 1 that will fit the sound im going for.

i have already tried a gibson les paul, loved the tone but didnt really like the "feel" of the guitar, if u know what im saying.

does anyone have any ideas...please...
L E T S G O F U C K I N C R A Z Y ! ! ! !

By "real" punk you'd better not mean Green Day or Blink 182. The Clash are pretty good though. I'd personally suggest a dual humbucking strat or similar guitar.
a fat strat would be good. theres a lot of different guitars that would be good. i play a dual-humbucking ibanez with a gfs dream 90 in the bridge (modified). works great for punk.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
^thats nothing compared to the tone of a Les Paul. You probably want something of mahogany and dual buckers. Prs jumps to mind. As does the Ibanez SZ series. Look into both. Also have you tried both gibson necks. 50s and 60s.
I would suggest a SG... what's your price range?
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by Bulletbass man
^thats nothing compared to the tone of a Les Paul. You probably want something of mahogany and dual buckers. Prs jumps to mind. As does the Ibanez SZ series. Look into both. Also have you tried both gibson necks. 50s and 60s.

listen to him....although low end PRS's suck so unless youre willing to shell out a lot of money, the others are great. also SG's would be good aswell.
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old
just buy any guitar and slap on some stickers........
My Gear:
Washburn Lyon Tele Copy
ESP LTD MH250NT
Samick D7-CE :
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Peavy Renown Solo Series Amp
Most 'real' punks just get a cheap guitar and put high-output pickups on them. The Distillers (not sure if they're punk, but they think they are) said "you don't need a good guitar, you need an amp which you can turn up LOUD!"

Anyway, I suggest Schecter, Ibanez and Fat Strats too
A Fat Strat would be great for you. It's alder, though, which is brighter than Mahogany, which is something to take into account. And there aren't many mahogany guitars that feel too different to Les Pauls, so you're ina bit of a pickle. An SG would be alright, but they don't strike me as punk guitars much. I'd recommend trying a Fender Fat Strat first off to see if you like the Alder sound.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
get a strat, put an SD Invader in the bridge, and buy a DOD Punkifier pedal
Last edited by Aftter-Forever at May 22, 2006,
I use an Epi Dot for punk. If you're gonna be doing more hardcore though, I'd get a double humbucker solidbody. Maybe an SG?
You already got a guitar.................................
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
if u dont like the feel of an LP, then try a double humbucker tele, and a fat strat, like said.

there arent a ton of shapes, so narrow down ur choices and come back with a few in ur budget, so we can discuss.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
My friend plays with a Shecter and it sounds really good, that's what I would go for.
Quote by bassmo_part2
Embryodead even if she was the hottest thing on the planet, there are lines you just don't cross and on my side of the line we don't finger our sisters.

Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join
Did you try both the 50's and 60's style neck on the Gibsons? If not, you may want to try those as well as the other guitars suggested. Just because one Gibson you tried didn't have the right feel, the other size neck may be more what you're looking for.

I also second the Fat Strat.

Really, what you need to do is go into Guitar Center (or some other big guitar store) sit down and try any and every guitar that catches your eye. Find a guitar that fits the sound you want and is comfortable to play.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Definitely a Fender Mustang, if you slap on a hummer on the bridge, maaaan oh man, great punk guitar.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
if you want more of a clash punk tone... go for a telecater

other than that, a fat strat, or a les paul are good choices
a crappy squier ? those instruments rule. I have a Yahama AES and I still love to thrash up my old squier. Its punk, don't go over board. Just keep the gain moderate and turn up the treble and mids on your amp. Don't write of what you have.
Anything can work for punk, John Doe from X uses a Gretsch, as does Tim Armstrong from Rancid, Joe Strummer used a telecaster and an esquire, Kurt Cobain (grunge, not punk I know) used beat up and modded old fender jazzmasters, telecasters, teiscos and a vox guitar, Early Green Day (before all that pop crap) used a Fernandes strat with a humbucker, I play a squier because I have no money and it serves me fine for everything but the heaviest metal, The Sex Pistols used Les Pauls, Hell, the Violent Femmes used acoustics and the occasional tele.... Punk can be anything, bright sounding guitars work best though.
yeh, lots of stickers on a telecaster.....that'll make it hardcore punk!
My Gear:
Washburn Lyon Tele Copy
ESP LTD MH250NT
Samick D7-CE :
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Peavy Renown Solo Series Amp
sg with p90s!!
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
as long as you don't get a gibson you should be fine

gibson les pauls are the worst guitars ever made (in the 70s they kicked ass but they are a joke now)

get a Mexican Fat Strat and stick a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge it will sound amazing for punk
If your going for some of the more early 80's late 70's type of punk, a guitar with some single coils would be a good idea. If I were you I'd even use the Squire because of the ****ty tinny tone you can get out of them. Humbucking Guitars are better for more modern punk like A Global Threat or The Virus.