what are the best scales to play on for metal lead and hardcore lead. Ionian, Dorian, what. Is natural and melodic minor good scales to use
Chuck Norris doesn't read, he stares books down until they give him the information he wants.

My Gear:
Washburn WR120
Randall RG100SC
Behringer XV-amp
Silvertone bass
Dorian and Ionian aren't scales they're modes. Anyway minor pentatonic and harmonic minors are good to use.
If you're after shred, minor scales work well. Try to add a bit of chromatism to them as well, it can work if its fast enough to be a passing note.
For metal, try the natural minor scale (ionian), harmonic minor and the pentatonic scales. Phrygian can also work well sometimes- just listen to any of kirk's solo from ...And Justice For All so hear that one
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
lol i cant learn scales like that but this might be a little type: Play songs that you like with bunch of solos of one band. You get mostly their stuff down, and later using it for ur own work. Like me i started with Metallica, pretty hard at first, then got addicted to their songs (still am), know many songs by heart now, and sometimes i use a small part of the lick from kirk and change it totally different. And i moved on from that band but i still play their songs cuz it pwns all the "new" heavy metal these days.

But to answer your question: Penatonic Minor scales??? lol and harmonic minors etc.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
major and minor pentatonic is basically waht everyone uses when it comes to most soloing. from there you have the different modes where certain notes are taken out and some are added in.

learn your pentatonic scales and you'll be busy for years.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by robmarsden01
For metal, try the natural minor scale (ionian), harmonic minor and the pentatonic scales. Phrygian can also work well sometimes- just listen to any of kirk's solo from ...And Justice For All so hear that one

I thought natural minor was the Aeolian...
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
harmonic minors more of a riffing scale I though. And that sharpened 7th will sounds discordant and generally wont add much to your solo. But if you want dissonance, the locrian will help you find those discordant tones. Also so more exotic scales that might work, try the hungarian and symetrical. And a wholetone can give you some interesting choices
Quote by Def
harmonic minors more of a riffing scale I though. And that sharpened 7th will sounds discordant and generally wont add much to your solo. But if you want dissonance, the locrian will help you find those discordant tones. Also so more exotic scales that might work, try the hungarian and symetrical. And a wholetone can give you some interesting choices

If a song is in a minor key (tonally, not modally), then the harmonic minor (or melodic minor) goes hand-in-hand with the V (or viidim) chord. So harmonic minor lives up to its name ('harmonic') in that regard, and would not be limited to a 'riffing scale' (though I'm not quite sure what you mean by that).
Doesn't Malmsteen use the Harmonic Minor scale in a lot of his solos? Oh, adn the guy a gew posts up is right- the natural minor scale is aeolian, ionion is the major scale
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
I find the phrygian mode to be useful, and apparently Kirk Hammett does too, in a few of his solos.
I thought harmonic minor was 1 2 3 4 5 6 #7

but in a scale lesson in ug it says

Harmonic Minor
The formula for the Harmonic minor scale is:

1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7

i also thought that melodic minor was 1 2 3 4 5 #6 #7, bu ton the same article it says

Melodic Minor.
Melodic minor is very close to the major scale, the only thing that seperates it is the flat third (b3). So, the formula for Melodic Minor is:

1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos