Iv been playing almost 9 months now and was wonderin if i should try to get with a band. I dont wanna jump into something to quick but i wanna jam with someone else.
jamming and having a band is two different things. Jam for now but definately not after 9 months should you be in a band.
Quote by uterus
jamming and having a band is two different things. Jam for now but definately not after 9 months should you be in a band.

Why not? I started my first band within about 9 months of playing, took up lead vocals alongside lead guitar, and though we've had a few drummer changes, we're still writing pretty good music, and incorporating harmonica and keyboards to the band too.
The length of time somebody's been playing and how good they are is not in direct correlation.

But as to the question, join a band if you think you're ready. Start out just jamming with people you know, and if you enjoy it, they enjoy it, and you can make good, entertaining music, then ask them about a possible band commitment.
Really depends on the musical genre that your playing. I've been in a casual band since about three months after I got my first electric (I had a little acoustic playing before) and I was able to do the rhythmm guitar parts to many rock songs.

If your planning on joining a rock (maybe) /country/blues (maybe)/punk/pop, then go ahead. If your going to join a metal/jazz/bluegrass/classical type band, then get more experiance.

Can you improvise? Can you write decent rythmn guitar parts?
Yah, bands can take focus away from your learning. You might start spending time working on your bands latest "hit" instead of practising those minor scales. Also at 9 months you probably dont have the playing freedom to express yourself very well yet.